• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe PDF 8.0 Printer not working

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2007 Oct 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to use the Adobe PDF 8.0 printer but all it does is send the info to the printer and then the Queue stops. I have had a look at other forums and tried everything like deleting the printer and then going into acrobat and repairing it and repairing privileges. Still none of this works... I have run out of ideas.

I did note that in the Acrobat Professional manual that it mentions the following:

> n the pop-up menu below the Presets menu, choose PDF Options, and set any of the following options:

Now my print windows don't have this option or as latter described in the manual an option in the driver to change the PDF preset. I'm wondering if I am missing something. If somebody could please help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2007 Oct 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim

I have just come onto the Forum to check why Acrobat 8 and uit seems 7 does not print onto my Brother HL4040CN.

It loads as you say and then disappears. Seems like there is no connection to pick up the message.

Prints fine on a B/W HP Laserprinter

Are there issues do you suppose with certain printers?

Anyone wise on these points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2007 Oct 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim, I've tried printing to Adobe PDF and the output goes to Desktop by default. See if your PDFs are there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2007 Oct 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I have not had any problems with any other printers of mine... Just the Acrobat PDF. Its not saving anything to the desktop. also the queue stops and the file is still listed in the queue.

Is distiller meant to open when it runs this printer? because it isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2007 Oct 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Distiller does open in the background but you will not see it.

Patch up to Acrobat 8.1 and then if the problem persists try resetting
your entire print system and then running the 'Repair' option under
Acrobat / Help

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2007 Oct 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is already patched up to 8.1 (the printer still shows as Adobe PDF 8.0 though). How do you reset the entire print system? do you mean delete all the printers and reload them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2007 Oct 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as Tim.

Tim, I tried resetting the print system as described at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301185 then following Jon's instructions in post #4 but it didn't work.

Anyone else have any suggestions/solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2007 Oct 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any haxies running? Try turning off all antivirus and/or
firewall.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2007 Oct 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried the reset... No love. And I dont have any anti virus or firewall software running on the machine. If nobody has a solution what would be my next step. I need to get it running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2007 Oct 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED IT!!!<br /><br />I worked out that all the problems came down to a single file in my preferences: ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.print.AdobePDF8/com.adobe.print.AdobePDF8.Defaults.xml<br /><br />now I opened it up and compared it to a version that was working...<br /><br />>** Excerpt from not working version **<br /><br />><dict><br /> <key>com.adobe.print.AdobePDF.PrintSettings.PDFJobOptionsPath</key><br /> <string>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings/Test(1).joboptions</string><br /><br />>** Excerpt from working version **<br /><br />><dict><br /> <key>com.adobe.print.AdobePDF.PrintSettings.PDFJobOptionsPath</key><br /> <string>default</string><br /><br />I think what was going on was that the printer was trying to print to job options that either dont exist or dont work... It would stop the queue and also the printer didnt even have any PDF setting in the print dialog box. Now it works fine.<br /><br />So all you would have to do is delete the file, delete the printer from the print manager and then repair the printer from Acrobat and I should work fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2007 Nov 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to get my adobe pdf 8.0 driver fixed I had to change the file permission of the file
"/usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf800" to owner root and -rwx------

this is done by the following two commands which have to be executed in the Terminal:

sudo chown root:staff /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf800

sudo chmod u=rwx,go= /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf800

Terminal for dummies:
just open the Terminal and copy/paste the first of the two lines and press enter, then you will be asked to enter your password, do so and press enter again(you won't see your password, but it works anyway)
and then to the same with the second line and then the Adobe PDF 8.0 Printer should be fixed

maybe it helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2007 Nov 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with Acrobat 8.1 and Leopard on iMac 24" core duo late 2007.

I tried all the above plus a few other approaches with no success. In searching the forums on the net I have found that some think the problem is a conflict between Distiller and Leopard that will be fixed in the next iteration of Acrobat.

I got a partial solution working when I went to the ~/Library/Preferences/com.Adobe.print.AdobePdf8 folder and re-linked the two aliases found in the alias folder.

In the end I found this and it works! http://www.codepoetry.net/projects/cups-pdf-for-mosx

It's a CUPs-pdf installer that allows you to add a cups-pdf printer to your printer list. It works beautifully and will certainly do until the problem is fixed by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2007 Nov 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graham D Lindsay Can you explain this 'CUPs-pdf' work around in plain English as I'm just understanding it.

I download the file but that's about it. Can't find any files mentioned and feel completely lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2007 Dec 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried Jonas Mächler solution #10 above.

No go. Some of data bytes processed but then this message:

Operation could not be completed.
client-error-not-possible

Tried codepoetry site. Domain not loading in browser.

--romy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your using Leopard OSX.5.x you dead in the water until some time in Jan 2008.

Seems That Adobe and Apple are having a hard time deciding what go broken and how.

Adobe will fix the problem in a 8.2 release.

In the mean time go Print when print menu comes up choose create PDF. I think there are a selection of types when you click and hold Create PDF button.

Once created Acrobat can manipulate the Pdf as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarted Mac again after Mächler change in terminal. Deleted everything from PDF printer queue and restarted PDF printer, again...

Tried to print to PDF again. Did NOT get op-no-complete msg as above.

Printer DID pause again -- HOWEVER -- printing actually DID complete and file was on desktop (done) AND still in print queue stopped.

If it works anyway consistently, I can live with this. Will try more complex file.

Thanks, Jonas!

--romy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2007 Dec 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Leopard and Acrobat Pro 7.

Now I was able to fix it by changing the permissions in the terminal as
suggested on the "codepoetry"-website:

sudo chmod 4755 /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf700

Thanks to the cups-pdf people!

rolf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2007 Dec 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried Tim's solution above with no success (CS3/Leopard).

Then i immediately tried Jonas' one, did not remove the existing printer or restart or anything. I just moved back to Illustrator and re-printed my document, and ka-boom, it worked for me. So thanks a lot, Jonas! 😉 Let's just hope it sticks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2007 Dec 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sudo chmod 4755 /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf800 is a stop gap measure until a true fix comes from Adobe. You still get the printer pausing the queue, but the pdf gets generated and left of your desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2007 Dec 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sudo chmod 4755 /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf800

works for me with Acrobat Pro 8.1.1 and Leopard (10.5.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2007 Dec 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, but do not know how to fix it. I am sorry, but I am not that advanced. I am using Vista with Acrobat 8.1. I can not print to a PDF the print job shows in my queue, but nothing happens. Just like Described by Tim. I deleted the printer and repaired it but nothing. I have no idea how to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2007 Dec 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please diregard post I am in the worng forum - my mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2007 Dec 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M Bernardy,

HA HA HA - phew, that was hilarious ! Same thing broken on Vista too.

lets go over an post this "i can't make a good PDF" on the Linux forum next !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2008 Jan 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sudo chmod 4755 /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf800 worked for me too.
The printer gets paused after the job finishes but the pdf gets created. Thanks to everyone who posted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2008 Jan 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried installing cups, but when I try to add the printer, the option for postscript printer is not there. Any ideas. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines