• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Root CA certificate on Reader Extended PDFs Expired

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use this functionality extensivly and due to the change on 01-07-23 can no longer Reader Enable documents using Acrobat Pro X. 

Can we update the certificate for Acrobat Pro X? If so, where is the information on what we need and where we can get it? Or what are my options?

Due to the security issues with DC it is not an option for us to change. 

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you!

Karyn Dawes 

Fluid Components International, LLC

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Karyn D 

Adobe Acrobat uses a certificate issued by 'Adobe Root CA' to sign Reader Extended PDFs. This certificate can no longer be used to create new Reader Extended PDFs post its expiry on January 7, 2023. The November 2022 update of Adobe Acrobat (Continuous and Classic track) creates Reader Extended PDFs using a new certificate issued by ‘Adobe Root CA 2’. Adobe recommends users update to the latest version of Acrobat (November 2022 update or later) to continue using this functionality post-January 7, 2023.

For more information, please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/reader-extended-pdfs-and-adobe-root-ca-expiry.html

Please update the application to the latest version, 22.3.20281 (Mac) or 22.3.202082 (Win) and reboot the computer once. Go to Help > Check for updates.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

What is the alternative solution to save the "Comment enable PDF" from Adobe Acrobat Pro Ver. 10 and 11 without upgrading to latest DC version.

Thanks,

Santhosh  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @santhoshr29800103 

For more information, please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/reader-extended-pdfs-and-adobe-root-ca-expiry.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Due to the security issues with DC it is not an option for us to change. "

This is the most bizarre thing I've read all day. Acrobat X has dozens of unfixed security issues. It no longer gets security fixes. Acrobat DC gets fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The security in question is the signing of documents. At no time during the process does it ask for a password so I, or anyone for that matter, can sign for any person. Please enlighten me if I'm missing something. 

Always up for learning something new or something I've missed. 

Please and thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this is about security on a signing certificate? Is this a self-made certificate? If so, there is no security on them at all, because anyone can make a certificate in any name. But I can still see that some people might find prompting for a password when signing is desirable (if for example it's on a PC that isn't locked when not in use), and the certificate is used to validate against.  Anyone have any ideas on the password prompt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I have a perpetual license of Acrobat Pro X and was using the reader enable feature.

Now I can not use it anymore and the only 'fix' by Adobe is to buy a new version.

I don't need a new version, Acrobat X was doing what I needed.

The removal of features at a scheduled date is a flagrant planned obsolescence by Adobe. It is illegal in some countries and punished by heavy fines.

Adobe can either send a patch to fix this illegal castration of their software, or they could give a free perpetual license upgrade to a newer version to their customers. Anything less will probably put them in the crosshair of many regulatory authorities in addition to upset the customers who make them the company they are today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I need to create a number of Reader-enabled PDFs, and Acrobat Pro DC has stopped doing so. On Friday, the Adobe tech remotely installed several new versions of Pro DC (now at 2022.001.20112.0) - no effect - still get the dreaded

ReaderExtended-unable.png

I really need to get this fixed, and Adobe Support has been remarkably disappointing in their response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea why they stopped at 2022.001.20112. That's from before it was fixed. You need 2022.003.20282/20281 from November, according to Adobe.  Unless your system is too old for that, which is going to leave you absolutely stuck. https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousnov2022.htm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well fargin carp. Installer errored out saying it won't support the current OS.

I have to stay at Mojave 10.14.6 as I have a few important 32-bit apps I still need to run, and moving to 10.15 breaks all 32-bit apps.

I could clone my 10.14 install, upgrade it to 10.15 on a new boot SSD, and switch boot drives as needed, but that's a lot of work.

I still can't see why Adobe won't fix certificates on all supported versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why want you reader-enable PDF files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I serve a wide variety of users on various OSs of various ages. Using enabled PDFs has meant (until now) that all of them could open, read, fill out, and save the forms in just about any version of Reader, which makes my job easier. Without this capability, I expect to start receiving "hey, I can't save this" errors from some people.

And apparently even if I do ever get extended save fixed on my Mac, it won't matter anyway. I have a Windows 11 machine running Acrobat Pro DC, and it was able to save a Reader Extended PDF. Which showed the same error in an older verstion of Reader, even after applying the fix listed at https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/kb/error-opening-acrobat-reader-extended-pdfs.html:

AcrobatExtended-Fail.png

 So it is well and truly broken. Looks like a few more headaches on my end thanks to Adobe's certificate change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Old versions of Acrobat Reader doesn't supports the new certificate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines