Exit

After adding a comment or edit, I cannot save PDF

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patty Yoder Feb 13, 2019 12:24 PM

Hello,

For the past week, I have been unable to save my edits and comments to PDFs. I get one of three error messages:

1. When I SAVE a PDF that I downloaded to my desktop and opened by double-clicking it on my desktop.
    This file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.
  2. When I SAVE AS the same file, I tried changing the name, and I tried to save it in new folder, but I get this message:
    The document could not be saved. This file cannot be found.
  3. When I tried unchecked protected features in Edit > Preferences, I get this:
    The document could not be saved. Access denied.

The files come from coworkers, and nothing has changed on their end. Is there an Acrobat setting or maybe a security setting that can fix this? I'm an editor, so I need this function every day.

Other information:

• The files are saved to my desktop. They are not on a server or cloud service.
  • I have tried Save and Save As with no luck.
  • I have tried to rename the file with no luck.
  • I have tried to save it to another folder with no luck.
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat DC with no luck.
  • I have repaired Microsoft Office and Acrobat DC with no luck.
  • I have unselected “Save As optimizes for fast web view”
  • I have added the host names where I get the PDFs to Edit > Security (Enhanced) >Privileged Locations
  • I have right clicked the Adobe Acrobat DC Reader icon, then properties, then added several options as approved groups
  • I have restarted Acrobat DC and my machine multiple times.

Does anyone have a new idea? Thanks in advance for your help.

Patty

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Patty,

Sorry to hear about the trouble, and thanks for sharing the detailed information.

From where did you get receive the document and how? Was it emailed to you or initiated as shared review? Is it the only document that causes this trouble, have you checked with a different file?

Have you checked the document's properties, it could be a possibility that its a secure document.

Open Document in Acrobat>right click> Document Properties>Security

Or it could be a corrupted file, which isn't allowing you to save it further and returning the error " The document could not be saved. This file cannot be found."even after having it saved locally.

Related discussion: How can I fix this error? "The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this do...

It would be more clear if we look into the file. Please share the same file (without doing any modification) that you have received.

"You can share the file with us via email. And you can send it to the email address that is shared via private message. Please do mention your forum thread in the subject"

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem as Patty since the last couple of months. I have tried on all kinds of PDFs (non-secure) and I have even uninstalled my PDF Reader and reinstalled it. No luck. Was Patty's problem solved? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have no answer for the original post unfortunately, but just wanted to chime in that I'm currently having this problem with one client that I send PDFs to for review. Nothing different in the way I am creating them (from the latest InDesign CC, and usually using one of the basic Export to PDF non-print presets, and PDFs are not protected at all. I've exported literally hundreds of PDFs doing the same for other co-workers and clients and none of them have had problems. But in this case, he has the latest Acrobat Pro CC, and he can usaually open the PDF, and add comments, but then when he goes to Save or Save As he can't with similar errors as the original comment here - an then of course he loses all his comments 😞  In a few cases, the PDF opened and saved just fine for him, but most PDFs from me will not. 

By the way, I also tried the InDesign Share For Review and this same coworker was not able to access the shared PDF that way at all! (I have successfully used the Share for Review with others, so not sure what the problem with that is either!) Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines