Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Allow form users to select multiple options from drop down

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

This shouldn't be this hard, but maybe I'm oversimplifying things...

I am creating a form; in this form, I'd like the end-user to select(using the ctrl key-like "normal") multiple options. For example, if you're choices in the form are: Apples, Oranges, Pears, I'd like the end-user to be able to select any one or multiple of those options. Apples, pears or Oranges, Apples, etc. 

How do I do this?

If I need a javascript to do this, Adobe is really missing the point of ease of use.

Thanks!...

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

It is possible with a listbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible with a listbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

++ Adding to the correct suggestion by Bernd Alheit

For more information about dropdowns and list box please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/pdf-form-field-properties.html

Also, please check the correct answer marked in the similar discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/list-box-and-multiple-selection-populate-new-text-box/m-p/101...

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but this doesnt' answer my question and neither does the article.

I can make a list box fine, populate it, etc. What I want is the USER to be able to SELECT MULTIPLE items from that list box. This is what I need help with.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under options in the properties of the listbox enable this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry,

Still not working. If I, example, use Apple, Orange, Pear and I select Pear and Apple, I still see Orange. I want to select Apple and Pear and Orange is gone-only Apple and Pear remain. This isn't happening. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Want you remove Orange from the listbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a list of three options-Apple, Orange, Pear, or Red, Green, Yellow. I want to end-user of the form to be able to pick their favorite X,Y,Z or A,B,C. If they like X and Z, I want Y to disappear. Why to I want Y to be visible if it is not picked?

Apple/Pear=Orange isn't visible

Apple/Orange=Pear isn't visible

Orange/Pear=Apple isn't visible

Etc.

Haven't you ever used ctrl to select multiple items from the list and only those items selected "stayed" visible?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason you don't remove unselected items from a list box, is because those items might need to be selected at a later time. What if the user changes thier mind? When do they get added back in? are the items gone forever? Doesn't make any sense. Removing unselected items is far from the standard way list boxes work on any programming platform.  Maybe you saw this in some specialty application?

However, you could use JavaScript to implement this functionality.  So at what point do the items dissappear?  What triggers this change in the list?

Here's an article that comes with an example that demonstrates the code for adding and deleteing entries in a list box

https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/list_and_combo_in_lc/

You can read more about list programming here:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/List-Field-Usage-and-Handling.cfm

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I find it hard to belive that no one has never seen a list of choices, using a drop down menu, that you select X,Y,Z and X,Y,Z appears in box. If you change your mind in the future or make a mistake, you click the drop down button and ALL the choices are there again to pick from. This time you pick A,B,C and they fill the box. This really shouldn't be this hard or require programming skills. I think I over estimated the ability of Adobe to simplify my life. Pretty disappointed in the product so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never saw something like that, either. Maybe what you mean is you want to show a summarized version of the selected items, which is possible in Acrobat using a separate text field and a script, but to filter out the items in the list to just the selected ones is very strange indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Everything on a computer is controlled through scripting, or programming of some kind. If you have an application that does something automatically, then there is programming behind it. Building forms is an exercise in programming.  This is true on any platform.

Now the fuctionality you've asked for is demonstated in the article I posted. The exact code you need is there.  All you have to do is click your heals three time and repeat "I want a free script".  Or you could just read the article. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines