• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any Progress in Adobe Acrobat Pro allowing users to Attach files without javascipt?

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had Adobe made any changes to Acrobat Pro that would allow me to design a form in which the user can attach a file (via Reader) that doesn't require me to use javascript?  This seems like this would be such a common requirement that Adobe would put it in Acrobat Pro.

Thanks.

--Carolyn

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users can use the Attach File comment tool, it works with Acrobat Reader too.

Capture_2301052259.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that is a start.  I have seen Adobe Forms that have a more elegant presentation.  But I am guessing that they must use sophisticated javascript and c programs.  I am attaching an example below (this is a publicly available form from Grants.gov).  I looked at the xml for this file.  It refers to many grants.gov libraries to which we don't have access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your form is an XFA-PDF made with Adobe Designer 7.0, it's not an AcroForms-PDF made with Acrobat Pro.

What is the difference between AcroForms and XFA?

See: https://appligent.com/what-is-the-difference-between-acroforms-and-xfa/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information.  I do have access to Adobe Designer 7.0.

--Carolyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I meant Adobe InDesign.  Is that the same thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Adobe LiveCycle Designer was an enterprise product which was bundled to Acrobat until Acrobat X. This is totally different to InDesign. Nowadays you can only get a license for it if you order AEM Forms, which is a suite of solutions for enterprises and very very expensive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do the same type of document with Acrobat Pro and JavaScript, but in your first question you asked for a solution without JavaScript, hence my first answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I already have the javascript solution.  I was just wondering if Adobe had incorporated this function into Acrobat so we wouldn't have to use a javascipt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also... it really isn't just about what Adobe put in Acrobat Pro. That's not what most end users will have. So it would have to be in Acrobat Reader. But most users aren't using Acrobat Reader either. They are using Chrome or Safari or Edge or Preview or the Android or iOS default PDF viewers. So ALL those people (Google, Apple, Microsoft and more) would have to agree to support it. This would have to be part of PDF 3.0, thrown around by committee for years and years. But given that no viewers even support all the current PDF standard fully, this could be decades away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines