• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto fill text field based on entry to another text field

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a script to auto complete a text field when a specific number is imputted into another field, so that user filling out form does not have to reference another document to find the corresponding number, aim is to reduce human error input by making the document do the hard work.

i.e. text fields are 'Origination - Unwind Direction 1' (this is field 1) & Origination - Unwind Direction 2' (this is field 2)

If I were to enter '1' in to Field 1, I want Field 2 to automatically show '2', or if i were to enter '3' into Field 1, I want Field 2 to show '4'. Input will continue roughly on this basis.

Aim is to lock Origination - Unwind Direction 2 (Field 2) from user filling out form so that errors cannot occur, thansk for any help

TOPICS
How to , JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

From example you posted, you can use script in first field under validation:
if(event.value == 1)this.getField("Origination - Unwind Direction 2").value = 2;
else if(event.value == 3)this.getField("Origination - Unwind Direction 2").value = 4;

from here you can continue adding 'else if' statements and if you wish, statement to empty field 2 if field 1 is empty.

In your example field 2 is always 1 more then field 1, if that will be case you can use this script in same place instead of script above:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From example you posted, you can use script in first field under validation:
if(event.value == 1)this.getField("Origination - Unwind Direction 2").value = 2;
else if(event.value == 3)this.getField("Origination - Unwind Direction 2").value = 4;

from here you can continue adding 'else if' statements and if you wish, statement to empty field 2 if field 1 is empty.

In your example field 2 is always 1 more then field 1, if that will be case you can use this script in same place instead of script above:
var x = Number(event.value);
this.getField("Origination - Unwind Direction 2").value = event.value != "" ? x+1 : "";

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, worked like a dream

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craiga

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described you want a script to auto complete a text field when a specific number is imported into another field, so that user filling out form does not have to reference another document to find the corresponding number.

For information about developing JavaScript please check the help page https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/javascript_console/

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines