Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Batch conversion of .pdf to archivable document

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am replacing another employee, performing conversion of thousands of medical files to archivable format (sometimes singly, sometimes as batches).  I was wondering if Adobe programmers might be able to program Adobe to change the file type as read in Windows explorer when the file is converted.  The reason I ask is that there is no way to know when a document has already been converted without opening it. 

If performing individual file conversion, or it was converted previously, I must rename each individual file for reference.  Overwriting the original file is preferred to decrease steps.

When performing a batch conversion, the name is changed adding _A1b... to the end of the name, but the file extension remains *.pdf.  Batching also causes the file to be duplicated and requires individual deletion of each file. 

There has got to be a better way to see where I am in this process.  I am requesting that the file type be demonstrated in the extension ex: .pdfa... or a separate file started with the duplicates to prevent deletion of necessary files when removing originals.

Thanks,

Sarah

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Duplicating is considered important because PDF/A is no longer editable. It's really important to keep the pre-PDF/A files archived, not convert-and-destroy.

There is no other file type they could use PDF/A is still PDF. That the type the PDF viewers recognise. If they called it .pdfa for example, no other apps would see or read it and this would be a bad thing for a format designed to be as portable as possible.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines