Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch convert TIFFs to PDFs

Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot see any way in the "Create an Action" feature to convert a whole subdirectory of TIFFs, each to its own PDF file of the same name. Hopefully I don't have to do it one-by-one, as I have hundreds of them to convert.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Have the TIFF files in one folder.

Open Acrobat X Pro. Select: Edit > Preferences > Convert To PDF > TIFF — now, click on the "Edit Settings" button. Configure as desired.

Next, select Tools > Action Wizard > Create New Action.

In the "Create New Action" dialog —

--| For "Start with" select "A Folder on My Computer".

--| Browse to and select the folder containing the TIFF files.

--| Skip "Steps".

--| For "Save To" select "A Folder on My Computer".

--| Browse to and select the desired folder.

--| Save th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As input for a action you can choose TIFF. As action use Javascript which does nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I have NO idea what this means. Perhaps I could not parse the English correctly. Anyway, there is no TIFF input option in the "actions" panel. And what does it mean to use a script that "does nothing"??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As tool for your action use 'Execute Javascript'. When you execute the action choose the folder with your TIFF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should also be able to drop them on the printer icon or drag and drop them into an Acrobat window. With the latter you will be asked if you want them as one file or separate files. Unfortunately, you still have to save them all. Bernd's approach is probably a bit more automated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the TIFF files in one folder.

Open Acrobat X Pro. Select: Edit > Preferences > Convert To PDF > TIFF — now, click on the "Edit Settings" button. Configure as desired.

--| Browse to and select the folder containing the TIFF files.

--| Skip "Steps".

--| For "Save To" select "A Folder on My Computer".

--| Save the Action.

Run the Action. PDFs will be in the "Save To" folder you designated.

If you desire a particular "Initial View" for the PDFs or have common metadata (Title | Author | Subject | Keywords) you can accomplish this.

Edit the Action. Use "Steps".

For Initial View: Document Processing > Set Open Options then open the Options menu to configure.

For common metadata: Content > Add Document Description the open the Options menu to configure.

Are the TIFF files of textual content that wants OCR?

Add OCR to "Steps". Recognize Text > Open Options menu > select desired output style.

Just the tip of the iceberg. There's much more that may be accomplished.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was perfect. A simple and elegant solution. The trick was to skip the second step!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you were kind enough to make the process of exporting to TIFF so easy, I wonder if there is a shortcut to do the same thing from batch-exporting files to Word (doc) files? Once again, I couldn't find it in the list of available options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the PDF files in one folder.

Open Acrobat X Pro. Select: Edit > Preferences > Convert From PDF > Word 97 - 2003 Document — now, click on the "Edit Settings" button. Configure as desired.

AND

Select: Edit > Preferences > Convert From PDF > Word Document — now, click on the "Edit Settings" button. Configure as desired.

AND

Select: Edit > Preferences > Convert From PDF > Rich Text Format— now, click on the "Edit Settings" button. Configure as desired.

That gets all three in one go, eh.

--| Browse to and select the folder containing the PDF files.

--| Skip "Steps". (If, later, you need something here you can edit to add.)

--| For "Save to" select "A Folder on My Computer".

--| Click the icon that lies at the right of "Save to".

--| The "Output Options" dialog presents itself.

--| Tick "Export File(s) to Alternate Format".

--| From the "Export to" drop-down menu select the desired format.

--| Save the Action.

Run the Action. Word files will be in the "Save To" folder you designated.

Disclaimer:

Acrobat's export of PDF content to a Word file supports high fidelity migration of format/layout when the source PDF(s) are well-formed Tagged PDF.

Poorly tagged PDF content will be reflected in the exported content present in the Word file.

Not tagged PDF content will be processed programmatically by Acrobat to "tag" the content. This has improved very much as new Acrobat versions have been released.

However, a programmatic "best-estimate" is often not so good for content having more complex layout and format.

(Not just "marketing hype" — I've done trials with these use-cases.)

Note: Actions may be Exported and Imported via the "Edit Actions" dialog. This lets you share useful Actions with others.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over near 40 thousands folders, and I want to convert multiple tiff images in each sub folders as each individual pdf named according to the sub folder's name, can I do that?

I know how to convert all tiffs in one folder, and I do not want to move all tiffs to one folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is not suited for handling such large quantities. You need to look for a more robust batch processing tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CtDave,

will it be possible to'merge' the two parts of the workflow to automatize it more? I mean: let's say I have 10 pdfs and I want each one to be exported as monochrome tiff images in a temp folder and then converted to an OCR pdf? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! Can I include searching Excel for a file name before converting? I have massive amounts of TIF files, some need to be simply converted as a PDF, some need to be combined into one PDF.

I have a tab in Excel showing which files need to be converted. There are 1970 files in just one folder. How can I automate this process and can I also slightly change the file name when saving as PDFs?

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines