• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bates Numbering is too small on images (e.g., jpg or tif) converted to PDF

New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, if I have a set of documents consisting of 50 pages. Forty pages were either scanned or converted to PDF through Word. The other ten are photos that were converted to PDF from their native digital format (jpg or tiff). When Bates numbering is applied, the size appears to be normal on the first 40 pages, but the size of the Bates Number is microscopic on the PDFs converted from a native digital format. What is causing this issue and what is the best way to address? Thanks.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

I suspect the images that were imported directly created much larger pages than your other 40, so the Bates numbering appears smaller by comparison, but are in fact the same font size.

On one of the image pages, what is the size of the page? (hover down to the bottom left corner).

e.g. a 3000 x 3000 pixel image saved as 300 ppi will direct import as a 10"x 10" page, but if the resolution was 150 ppi, it would create a 20"x 20" page. At 72 ppi it would create a page 41.67" x 41.67" (as per my exa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that. We need some more information for a better understanding:

- Would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC and the OS you are using?  Please make sure you have the recent version 22.1.20117 (Win), 20112 (Mac) installed. Go to help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

- What is the workflow/steps you are doing to create the PDF and add the bates number to it?  Also, please share the screenshot of the issue or a small video recording for a better understanding.

We are here for help, just need more information.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Windows 10 Pro (Version 21H1) (OS Build 19043.1706). I am running Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Version 2022.001.20117. Someone else responded and correctly diagnosed my problem. Not sure if there is a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the images that were imported directly created much larger pages than your other 40, so the Bates numbering appears smaller by comparison, but are in fact the same font size.

On one of the image pages, what is the size of the page? (hover down to the bottom left corner).

e.g. a 3000 x 3000 pixel image saved as 300 ppi will direct import as a 10"x 10" page, but if the resolution was 150 ppi, it would create a 20"x 20" page. At 72 ppi it would create a page 41.67" x 41.67" (as per my example)

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 5.47.48 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You nailed it. Hovering in the bottom left corner reveals "30.06 x 39.44 in". I received these documents from my client. It appears that they took a picture of a document with their phone and converted it to PDF. I did not receive the original photo. I just received the PDF. Once I receive it in this format, what options do I have? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no easy way in Acrobat itself [edit.. see below.. there IS]. One of the users here has developed a script to proportionally scale pages (for a small price), but what I would do if you only have 10 affected pages is to copy the images out and paste into a new InDesign file of the page size you desire, then export new PDF pages from that, which you can then replace into the main PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, if you have Acrobat Pro DC then you can easily do it now using the Preflight tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! I haven't had a need to do this so I never noticed they added that fixup. Mine only has "Scale Pages to A4", so the OP will have to edit the fixup to change from A4 to Letter (or whatever) dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello!  I have a document that is 42" x 42" that I need to downsize so that I can bates number.  I saw this post that I may be able to use the Prefilght tool; however, I'm not sure what I need to do.  Can you please advise?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines