• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank option in PDF Dropdown

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a number of PDF forms created in Adobe Acrobat that have a required drop down list.

Originally I had been adding a blank option to the top of the lists (by hitting the space bar in the Item Name and leaving the Export Value empty), so that the form displays blank when opened.

However, we had a series of forms submitted (using Adobe Reader and a "Submit a Form" button - the built-in one that comes with Acrobat not a custom javascript button) that some of the required dropdown lists have been left blank.

I then realized that because the "blank" option in the dropdown is not technically "null" or empty but a space that the Submit a Form button is not catching it as being empty and allows the form to be submitted.

1) Adobe: Why is there not a true "add a blank" option to the dropdown list properties that passes a "null" value so the Submit a Form button form works properly???

2) Since there isn't such an option, how do I keep the forms from being submitted when the dropdowns are left blank?  I'd rather not have to embed a bunch of javascript into the forms to check for something that should be built in.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For #1, that's just the way it is. For #2, you will have to use JavaScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it's a missing feature, but there's nothing we can do about it, or explain why it is so...

You can request new features here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you load the drop down or list box using JavaScript it is possible to have null value but this is not the standardized method and can make updating the list by others difficult or Adobe could do something that treats this as an error or something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 IS POSSIBLE! Just put a space bar!!!! and press ADD~! 2.PNG

YOU ARE WELCOME! I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THAT SAME THING MYSELF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is how it is done using the UI.

With JavaScript using the setItems, one can add a true null.

If you expect to be changing the or editing the list on a regular basis, It might be easier to use a document level JavaScript to populate the fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you provide instructions on how to do this in JavaScript?

I have dropdowns in my form but they default to the first value in the dropdown.  I just want them to default toa blank/empty field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked perfectly! Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You human legend! There you have it ladies and gents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this does not solve the problem.  They were using this method from the beginning, when he said, "Originally I had been adding a blank option to the top of the lists (by hitting the space bar in the Item Name and leaving the Export Value empty), so that the form displays blank when opened."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines