Build 19.012.20034 - Windows 10 - Error 0:521 - a work around

Explorer ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe Acrobat build 19.012.20034
Windows 10

When navigating between multiple PDFs, error 0:521 "There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader.  If it is running, please exist and try again" occurs if moving to the next PDF is delayed by more than 4 seconds.

The Windows 10 event log reported:

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54} and APPID {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402} to the user XXXXXXXXXXXXX SID (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

These class ID's and App IDs are linked to the AppRuntimeBroker ...

Resolution:

• In Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced)
  • Un-check "Run in AppContainer"
  • Restart Acrobat.

The setting 'Run in AppContainer' is on by default in the 19.012.20034 build.  It was off by default in the 2019.010.20099 build.

Andy

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing the detailed description.

As mentioned, while navigating between multiple PDFs the error message appears "There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader. If it is running, please exist and try again" , do you get this message only when navigating the PDFs within the application or while viewing them on web browser as well?

Since you have already tried disabling the "Run in AppContainer" and it didn't give any help. For testing, you may try disabling the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" from the Sandbox Protections once.

Note: Changing the above security settings could pose security risks. We suggest you to turn it back On once you are done with testing.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Akki_24: got the same situation with about 500 users. Also happens with build 20035. the workaround does it. But where is the right solution right now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have exactly same issue, and same workaround, where I need to turn off `Run In App Container`.

> As mentioned, while navigating between multiple PDFs the error message appears "There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader. If it is running, please exist and try again" , do you get this message only when navigating the PDFs within the application or while viewing them on web browser as well?

I have made a sample repro web app for this issue.

PDF slide-show test

Source code at GitHub: GitHub - HiraokaHyperTools/pdf-slideshow

In my case, we provide web based filing system.

The customer will look over some documents (PDF files for example) listed in search result list.

The pdf viewer (e.g.Adobe Acrocat Reader DC) will be reloaded on switching current viewing document to another document. The reload action sometimes invokes 0:521 error message.

That "PDF slide-show test" purpose is to reproduce the user action "switching/navigating documents".

I hope it helps reproducing/resolving the problem.

kenjiuno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI

• I have a record that some of my company's clients encountered (0:521 error) at Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2019.010.20099.
  • Today I have tested latest 19.012.20035 on some PCs, and I have not encountered (0:521 error).

I think the problem seems to be mitigated at one of following versions that are listed at Release Notes | Adobe Acrobat, Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As initally written - also happens for me with 19.012.20035 - nearly no differences to .20034.

> do you get this message only when navigating the PDFs within the application or while viewing them on web browser as well?

For me it just only happens in webview. Will stop using the DC now and switch to another solution. Sad but true...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IMG_20210610_133200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines