Calculated fields stop working

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a form that we've been using for about 8 years. I recently made some changes to it and now my calculated fields have a mind of their own.

 

I have six separate pages, five with individual totals, which are then added together on the sixth page. After receiving a report that the totals weren't working, I went in and updated all of my calculations and tested, and everything works fine. Once I close Acrobat and go back in, however, there are only two calculated fields on the sixth page that still work. After saving the form but before restarting Acrobat, I see all 12 of my calculated fields when I go in to 'Set Field Calculation Order'. After restarting Acrobat, I only see 2. I've tried adding them using the 'Value is the sum (+) option', as well as adding them all individually with the simplified field notation. The same problem happens either way. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? 

 

Calculated Fields, after saving but before restarting Acrobat:

CalculationOrder.PNG

 

Testing the form, before restarting Acrobat:

PostSavePreRestart.PNG

After restarting Acrobat:

PostRestart.PNG

 

Thanks,

Debbie

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

42

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the form I can't be sure, but it looks like the internal AcroForm structure has been corrupted. This happens occasionally when forms are edited a lot, or sometimes when old forms are edited in newer versions.  I think the newer Acrobat version might be choking on some detail in the old forms, which prevents it from properly updating the AcroForm key, but that's just speculation.

 

To get to the point, the only real solution is to recreate the PDF and copy over the old fields.   

 

 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Thom. I was finally able to get it working by using Foxit on it. I simply opened the form, and then went into view the Calculate tab for each of the fields (which I also did previously in Acrobat, but it didn't seem to make a difference there).

 

Now that I have it working, I'll make a copy tomorrow and see if editing the form in Acrobat still continues to break it or, if simply updating it with another editor was enough to fix whatever issues there were behind the scenes.

 

Thanks,

Debbie

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ha ha, that's pretty interesting. Seems like Foxit might have rebuilt the internal structure. 

Good Trick!!

 

 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines