• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I delete Data1.cab from from Setup Files?

Engaged ,
Feb 13, 2010 Feb 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that I have HUGE (691 MB) file in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Setup Files called Data1.cab.

Can I safely delete that file without interfering with the operation or later removal of Acrobat?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you downloaded Acrobat, you should have saved it to a CD. If not, you do not want to delete something that is fundamental to what you paid for. Unfortunately I do not have a better answer for your question, other than I would at least back it up. You might move it to another folder temporarily and see if there are any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If not, you do not want to delete something that is fundamental to what you paid for. Unfortunately I do not have a better answer for your question, other than I would at least back it up.

It came with CS4 Web Premium - it's not a download.  

Normally .cab files are deleted -  they serve no purpose after the install is complete.   The reason why I'm asking is:

1.  The installation script is what normally deletes the .cab file so I would have expected the Adobe installation script to delete it, but it didn't, even though there were no problems during the install.   So maybe Adobe had some reason to keep in around?

2.  Other people have asked the same question on here on forums.adobe.com and gotten vague answers, like maybe Adobe needs it for some future uninstall later, or "make a backup copy and try it".    So I'm trying to get a definitive answer.  It's huge - over a half gig - so it would be good to delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is there so that you can run Acrobat REPAIR in case installation gets corrupted and you lost original installation source.

If you really limited on disk space, you can delete it, but keep the above in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2010 Feb 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess none of us have a definitive answer. All I can suggest is the rename/move issue, but that might not cover the one instance when it is needed. It is likely kept in place for the repair needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

May I ask how could I make my answer more "definitive"?

Should I provide technical details on what SOURCELIST or SourceDir properties are in Windows Installer Service and how they get registered?

Both Reader and Acrobat installers will cache Data1.cab file on the system to be able to repair corrupted installation.

In case Reader installation is MSI only file, this MSI file serves as a source for the repair operation.

It is possible not to cache original source by providing command line Property during original installation or remove those cached files using msiexec with a specific command line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask how could I make my answer more "definitive"?

Should I provide technical details on what SOURCELIST or SourceDir properties are in Windows Installer Service and how they get registered?

Well, what I meant by 'definitive' when I referred to other places on the Adobe forums, was that people in those threads seemed to be speculating that this might be the reason Adobe keeps a 674 MB file like that just hanging around.  In those same threads people suggested a variety of possible reasons so I couldn't tell if people were just taking their best guess.   Some people thought it might be needed for uninstall, for instance.   

Also, if repair IS the purpose of the file then why don't I find similar files for all the other apps that got installed with CS4 - Photoshop, for example, or Dreamweaver or the Flash development software?    Is Acrobat uniquely subject to corruption, compared to their other software?

But anyway, since I have have my original install DVD, if Data1.cab is just there for repair, and it doesn't need it for any normal operation or uninstall, it sounds like I can blow it away with no worries, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your point is exactly what I meant by definitive also. I was offering a guess and a way to try to identify the need. To get a straight (or definitive) answer, you would probably have to get it from the Adobe programmers. However, I can't see them giving you a straight answer, or should I say being able to actually ask the programmers -- you will always be talking to the support folks that have a script in front of them and that would likely not be on the script. As long as you have the CAB file available, I would go ahead and remove it if you are having memory issues on the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines