• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can’t edit or download Helvetica Neue

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my issue: I'm trying to edit a PDF and the Helvetica neue choices that are in my Adobe don't offer the medium or the ten others in the family. I cannot edit to match the document. I try to download the helvetica neue I have in the Mac, on a CD, in a folder and all I get is "denied" from Adobe. In fact, if I search Helvetica neue in the awesome Creative Cloud for Adobe I get "font not found." So, what gives? How do I "just simply" add the family I have in my computer. Apparently the hurdle, or hoop, depending upon where you are in the rabbit hole, is that my font ends in ttc instead of ttf. But the one that is from 1995 which is linotype, ends in ttf. 

[Moved and branched from Where can I find Helvetica Neue? in Photoshop to Acrobat by moderator.]

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tuckerdogavl 

Are you editing your PDF in Photoshop or in Acrobat?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I’m editing in Adobe Pro DC (creative cloud?) apparently?
What is weird, too, is that when I go to fonts there are only two fonts in there. When I’m editing the document, I have about 100. And, I also discovered this morning, that if the font that is in the document was anything OTHER than helvetica neue, I wouldn’t be seeing a substitute font. I tried Akzidenz, Gothic, GilSans, Century… and I can edit all of them without substitution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tuckerdogavl 

I'll branch your post from the thread "Where can I find Helvetica Neue?" on the Photoshop forum to the Acrobat forum, but maybe it belongs in Type and Typography instead.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/type-typography/bd-p/type-and-typography

The issue you may be facing is the Type 1 Fonts are being deprecated, and Helvetica Neue had a Type 1 version. Photoshop (where you posted) has already dropped support for Type 1. I'm not sure about Acrobat. I also don't know if your version actually is Type 1 or if the issue is that the typeface is not embedded.

https://blog.typekit.com/2005/10/06/phasing_out_typ/  (Thomas Phinney, 2005)

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html

What do you see when you go to File > Properties > Fonts? Does it say the version?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screen capture. The information appears to be identical to the information described in the fonts I mentioned that I can substitute and edit. Occasionally something shows up that says Type 1. According to File>Properties>Fonts, this particular document has like 25 fonts used. It only used three. 🙂 I guess there are some hidden where I have been highlighting and testing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, PS: Thanks for moving it. I thought I was posting in Adobe PDF not Photoshop, so have no clue as to why it ended up there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that screen capture help? And is it possible to purchase H.Neue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a MAC btw 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Neue Helvetica is a copyrighted font from Linotype/Monotype: https://www.linotype.com/1266/neue-helvetica-family.html 

To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't come free from anyone, not Adobe Fonts or with Acrobat.

Note that if you decide to purchase Neue Helvetica, the $39 price is only for a "desktop font" that you can see on your screen, use in documents, and print to your personal desktop printer. If you want to embed the fonts in your PDF (which normally you want to do), there will be an additional licensing fee for each publication or edition of a publication. Per weight.

You'll need to purchase the ePub license @ $78/weight. https://www.linotype.com/1266/neue-helvetica-family.html 

BeviChagnonPubCom_0-1627501079913.png

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines