• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Edit Text in Acrobat Pro DC

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i know this question keeps getting asked, but there never seems to be a proper answer to it.

I've searched thru the forums and watched the tutorials but nothing seems to really address the issue.

So, here's my problem. When I select Edit PDF in some PDF's and select a piece of text, I can't edit it.

I can delete it, copy it and paste it but I can't edit it.

When I select the text I get what looks like an image selection box. So I suspect DC is treating it as an image instead of text.

Someone please tell me if this is so, so I can stop wondering why nothing's working.

I've tried all the tips for optimising, and I get a message saying it has already been optimised.

On other PDF's I can edit the text no problem, but on a bout 50% of pdf's that I open the edit text function doesn't work.

If anyone can tell me what's going on, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are different reasons why something that looks like text does not behave like text. The most common problem is that you are actually looking at an image or a picture of text. In this case, you can very likely (this depends on the quality of the image) run OCR and then after that you should be able to edit this text. The important thing here is to run OCR with the "Editable Text and Images" setting in the OCR settings. Otherwise you end up with text that is stored "behind" the original image.

If OCR does not work, chances are you are dealing with text that was converted to "outlines". In this case, the text was converted from true text (which you can edit) to vector drawings, that have nothing to do with text anymore (but still look like text). In this case, you are out of luck. Your only option in this case is to convert the complete page (or the complete documents) to a high resolution image file (e.g. a 600dpi TIFF image), and then import this image again into Acrobat (and therefore converting it to PDF), and then running OCR on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having an issue. I try to delete a few letter and it goes nutty. the text shifts right then the entire format is off.

its in a box and I select the text I want to delete and it shifts and the text is still there and its overlapped total mess.

help me please : ) NEW GUY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this can happen when trying to edit PDF files. Basically there's nothing that can be done about it, unless you re-create the file, either from the source file (the best option), or by exporting it to another format, editing it there and then creating a new PDF from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I had been selecting "Searchable Text," which seemed like it would be text, but is actually an image over the OCR text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but this is not a helpful answer. Everyone who uses Acrobat DC knows that you can add text to it and once you save the file, afterward (seconds later) you almost always will discover that some of that text just entered is now uneditable. Converting one page to a tiff image as you suggest, while it may work, creates too big a file to email, and takes too much time when you need to get a document or form updated and signed and out the door. There is actually a very quick workaround to this, though, that takes very little effort (literally, a few seconds) and no additional file space or converting the file -- everyone can figure it out. If i write it here, Adobe will no doubt figure out a way to make even that not work, because over the last 10 years Adobe has pretty much ruined everything it has touched. Years ago I never thought it would come to this but Adobe, yes, you have brought us to this. The real question is, why doesn't Adobe want its programs to be great for its users? Adobe knows this is a problem that is fixable. Why can't they fix it? Why is everything a hassle? From what I've seen, Adobe now believes things only need to be "good enough." Adobe used to be synonymous with excellence, with great graphics editors. Nowadays, we use Adobe because we have to. We don't like it. And this stupid little problem is just one of the many reasons for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait. You're saying you have a workaround for this but you're not going to tell us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies but this really is not a helpful solution and I'd hasten to add that the majority of seasoned users would know the difference between selecting an image against say selcting text or a vector object.

My issue (and also have not found a usable solution) is that Acrobat Pro DC will not launch editing applications (Photoshop or Illustrator) even after specifying them under preferences; selecting the program manually to edit also does not work.

Unfortunately I can no longer use Arobat Pro 8 which worked perfectly due to software upgrades. I can't understand how newer versions of software can be worse than previous versions and it only adds time to getting work done that is already time-constrained. Extremely disappointing and frustrating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text issue is fixed somehow. However acrobat keeps having read issues
and locking up so you can't save your work. What a disaster! It's
happening to everyone in our office. Some day software companies will be
held fiscally accountable for lost work because of negligent design. Then
stuff will work well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat 9 Pro:

So turns out that text is really text objects that can be edited but you need the Illustrator program to do it . I have Adobe 9 and when I click on the last of the text editing tools - it lets me select the object - then I can right click and say edit object and It will open Illustrator. Then I just save after my text edits and the object is updated in the pdf file with my new edits. (Icon is a pencil in a text box) Touch up text object tool. This may have changed in a later version of Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our office now has the same problem.  Hasn't been a problem for years.  All of a sudden now we can't edit the text after it's initial creation. It seems to have JUST started a week ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a pain in the ass for me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep same problem, I add text and images, then go to edit the text and it refuses to let me. I have to delete the text and insert new text to replace it. The really frustrating part is I'm building doc and it's going nice and smooth, no issues and then all of a sudden my text is off limits, cant edit at all... so sloppy of adobe and so frustrating. The app needs serious help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines