• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't print pdf, ps or pm only

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I try to print from Acrobat DC, it offers ps or pm files only, I couldn't find any option for pdf. I couldn't see when ps and when pm, either.

Let me take this opportunity to ask also the difference between the printers Acrobat pdf and Acrobat pdf (copy 1).

Thank you.

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your request is difficult to understand. So I'm reformulating what I meant to get out of it:

You are printing a file and when you hit print you get a screen asking to enter a filename:

That is not "printing" but creates a file for the selected printer that could be send differently to the printer.

Make sure that in the advanced print setup screen "Print to file" is not selected.

If "Print to file" is unselected, you're printing directly to the selected printer.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is my problem. Earlier I got this with pdf not pm or ps. How to get that back?

Actually, I want to print into file not onto paper. Why print not save - because I want some pages only not the whole document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually prn (P R N) not pm, but that's not important.The previous replied showed you exactly what to click to turn off Print to File.

Print to file does always and exactly what it is designed to do: makes a PRN print file for the current printer. Your current printer is an Epson, you'll get an Epson print file.

I am guessing you actually want to make a new PDF? Don't do it that way. Use Extract Pages from the Organise tool, and save the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is prn, in the first picture above the file name ends with .pm? This is also what I see sometimes, other times ps.

With 'Extract Pages' each page is put into a distinct file. Earlier I could use 'Print to File' to get a section, say a dozen pages, out from a long document into one new file. The automatic file extension was pdf or if not I could change at 'Save as type'. How can I do that now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it’s not PM.  It’s p r n but the r and n happen to run together in this font.

You can still print to PDF if you want, though it really isn’t recommended.  by choosing a PDF printer instead of a real one, typically the “ Adobe PDF” printer. Print to file must be OFF for this to work.

Extract  has more options than you’ve found. Strongly recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. Sorry if my screen or my eyes aren't good enough to tell pm from prn, anyway, it's sometime ps (I guess for postscript).

I understand what you say about a file type according to my printer which is in this case Acropbat PDF; I don't even have a 'normal' printer for paper.

I wonder, as I mentioned at the beginning, why I have two, Acrobat PDF and Acrobat PDF (copy 1) and what the difference is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's normally only one. But did you do what we said, turn off Print To File. What happens exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did now and I got exactly what I used to get with this checked, a file with the pages that I selected to print.

Thank you very much.

So the printers Adobe pdf and Adbe pdf (copy 1) are the same, duplicated by accident? Should I uninstall one of them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works I’d be inclined to leave both alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I will.

Many thanks again for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy printing then!

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Adobe PDF printer is a man's best friend outside of a dog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines