• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Enable Highlighter

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently dowladed PDF files I cannot enable the highlighter. Since it is a secured file I proceeded to print/save a PDF file which now allows me to enable the highlighter but I still cannot use it. Any ideas on how to workaround this?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean that you can enable the highlighter nit not use it? Were you not even able to enable it before?

If the PDF security is set to not allow changes (including commenting), there's nothing that can be done within Acrobat to get around that, short of having the password. 

Other PDF viewers may or may not honor Acrobat security settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your comments. Right, I cannot use the highlighter at all or add notes or comments. After I printed/saved to PDF I now can add notes, and I can enable the highlighter but still cannot use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you printed the PDF to PDF Printer, the text is no longer live. Highlighter doesn't work on printed text.

Run the OCR utility to make the text live again, and you should be able to use the highlighter.

• From the Scan and OCR tool panel (right side, or Tools Tab in the upper left).
  • Recognize text.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the file is secured in a way that prevents adding comments, then this is how the author wanted it to work, and Acrobat is not going to allow you to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines