Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Cannot open autosaved files

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I'm using Acrobat Reader DC, and if my reader closes unexpectedly, I am unable to open autosaved files. When prompted to load them upon startup of the program, I get the message "There was an error opening this document. Cannot recover original file" once for each file. This has happened for every autosaved file for several months now. Any tips on how to resolve this?

Thanks!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day, 

I have the same problem, also for several months now.  Acrobat DC, fully up to date.

It is the most irritating when one leaves one's work open overnight or over lunch, and Windows decides to restart itself while one is not looking.  You return to find your document and changes gone, your hopes of recovery are raised on opening Acrobat with the "shall we recover your files" ... only to have your hopes dashed when "there was an error opening this document."

Maybe tell us where the backup is stored so we can look for it manually?

How long after Adobe closes is the backup deleted?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

3 years later now, Adobe still is paralysed with this problem.

Best plan is to switch to Foxit, which can perfectly autosave files when you're gone.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines