• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot place checkbox or other field in desired location with mouse or direction buttons

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is likely a silly question, but I haven't found the answer.

I am trying to place a checkbox in my document using my mouse. When I move the mouse to move the box, the box's position jumps further to left, right, up or down much further than I am moving it. It seems like it's snapping to an invisible grid, but I have snap to grid turned off.

I have been able to place fields where I move the mouse with much more specificity in the past. Now I can't seem to place them where they need to go at all. Is this a setting I have missed?

Using Adobe Acrobat DC & just checked for updates. Am all up to date.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You likely have the snap to grid feature enabled: View > Show/Hide > Rulers & Grids > Snap to Grid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, George -- but that's not it. I don't have snap to grid enabled. And it's not snapping to the grid when I view the grid -- it's just jumping here and there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, I can't explain that. You might want to try "Help > Repair Installation" after you first try closing Acrobat and trying again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I hadn't tried the repair instalaltion -- thank you for that. I just did it and retried a couple more times, but still the jumpiness. It is almost as if there is a setting somewhere that's not allowing me to place it where I want, but instead forcing some kind of spacing -- maybe? I am looking for something along those lines, but not seeing. If you have any other suggestions, I would be more than game! Thank you so very much once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share your file so we can see whats going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Asim! Here is a link to the file: https://www.americanpowerinc.com/content/Test%20Files/Return%20Package%20File%20Page%204.pdf 

At the bottom, I am removing the radio buttons and wish to replace with check boxes. However, the check boxes will not go where I tell them to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I didn't have any issue replacing radio buttons with checkboxes it must be something in your settings.

Here is your file with checkboxes:

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1cEbrqyUxYl0mE1GMf-0u9i_4a_xGBQt2 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh! Thank you. This is great.

If anyone has ideas for where or what setting I should look for to change this, I would be all ears. I feel like I've look everywhere?

I do have other document changes to make that are causing simliar issues (moving something - and the element jumps or sticks in a funny spot).

Thank you again, Nesa!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your OS version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try, it's Windows 10 Pro, version 1909 ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the position in the properties of the fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Bernd! I was able to find this.

What I have trouble with now is, how do I pinpoint a location on a document and copy those coordinates? I know where the field needs to be placed visually to line up with the items I've moved within the document. But I don't know how to define the spot using left/right/top/bottom, etc. I may look at the fields documentation within Help again to see if there is something I may have missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing you can do in form editing mode is display the rulers (Ctrl+R) and then drag horizontal and vertical guides from them. Normally, when you drag a field and a border that's nearest the cursor comes close to a guide, it will gently snap to it. This also works when using the cursor keys to move a selected field. I don't know if this will work for you, but it's easy enough to try. Also, what happens when you move a field by selecting it and using the cursor keys to move it?

Does this behavior show up in any other programs that you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It looks like this is resolved. I turned on "Snap to Grid" and then turned it off again, and now the fields will move seamlessly wherever I put them. I tried this action yesterday, and nothing. Not sure why turning on and off again worked this time but not before? Just glad it's working so I can finish this document!

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines