• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Print Any PDF file - MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Error can't open /private/var/spool/cups/tmp/

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS 10.13.2

Adobe Pro DC 2018.009.20050 - no further updates are available to download

Printing to HP Deskjet F4280

Had no problems with pdf printing before, ever.

All MacOS print drivers up to date; no further HP drivers available; no PDFs print at all.

All other apps print - Word, multiple browsers, test prints from the print utility, etc.

Update: Printing works when printing using Preview -- but not native Adobe Pro DC.

Please help.

--Thanks, Russ K

Title and Message was edited by: Russ Krauss

Message was updated by: Russ Krauss

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Solved with the new update mac os x 10.13.6

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe ones means more than Acrobat?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'I' assume that to be correct. Just Adobe files will not print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What other Adobe applications do "you" use?

michaelm66750466  wrote

'I' assume that to be correct. Just Adobe files will not print.

Only if you know agent011​ you can assume that to be correct. People often confound Adobe with Acrobat (also because of 'Adobe Reader'), but also with third party applications. If you say "Adobe files", please state the applications from Adobe that you use for printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Pagemaker v7 (via Parallels), Photoshop, InDesign & Acrobat XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works if you open it with Preview but not Adobe.

Hopefully they fix it soon. Adobe Acrobat Pro was not free....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind letting me know how you got Sierra to install over the top of High Sierra, please.  I downloaded Sierra but I got a message telling me that, basically, I could not overwrite High Sierra.  Thanks a heap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved!  I had the same issue. printing fine one day and the next the private/var spool...... would not print. So..... i called my computer guy. He unplugged the usb cable from one port on my iMac desktop and plugged it into another port on my desk top and voila! It worked!!!

Curiously, my wife has exactly the same setup as i do, in her home office - and the same problem at the same time. Again, the computer guy unplugged from one port and put it into another port and she's back in business. Simple! forget the uninstall/reinstall crap and try this first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems on my MacBook Pro. My error is "Stopped - Can't open "private/var/spool/cups/tmp/xxxxxxxx". I uninstalled Acrobat, rebooted and reinstalled with the identical error listed. Printers are all fine in that I can print from all other applications. Looking at the comments above, issues have been present for over five months. This is clearly an Adobe-Apple interaction problem that should be patched immediately. Preview is my work-a-round for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

I am also unable to print from Adobe Acrobat Pro XI and when I try to use preview it says its not supported. Any update on a solution? Is Adobe working on it with Apple? I have reinstalled my printer, reset printers, etc and nothing fixes the issue. I continue to see the message:

Printing - Can't open "/private/var/spool/cups/tmp/00d635b31c1a1."

I am using an Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2016

Running macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.5

Adobe Acrobat XI 10.0.23

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus

All are running the latest and most updated SW

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an HP OfficeJet 8720 All-In-One with my MacBook Pro.  Acrobat quit printing pdf's after I installed High Sierra.  Worked under Sierra.  No prob.  Every other app prints fine.  Apple had me uninstall and then reinstall Acrobat, as mentioned in one of the earlier replies here.....resetting printer system using the steps given in this link: OS X El Capitan: Reset the printing system.

A complete waste of my time.  I got nada.

There is a work around:

1. Right click the file
  2. Select Open File
  3. select Other located at the bottom of the menu.  This will open a new Finder window for you to select another app to use to print the file. Mine worked with Chrome.

-OR-

As an alternative you can right click and select Get Info. Change the Open With section to whichever program you are already able          to print from.  You may also select the Change All...to have all your pdf's open with this app from here on out.

I have to admit that I find it absolutely ridiculous that we would have to go through all these gyrations to simply a pdf to print.  Come on Adobe, you've made plenty of money off of us and we deserve a fix.

I stepped off my soapbox for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the hint on opening PDF with another app.  have wasted so much time with this problem - Can't open "/private/var/spook/cups/tmp/xxxxxxxxx.  This just started a few days ago and is killing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on Mojave with brother printer and adobe. I just reinstalled Mojave and it generated this new issue. If anyone finds a solution other than the workaround I would be very grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved with the new update mac os x 10.13.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting to hear that the problem was solved with the update to mac os x 10.13.6 - I cannot confirm that.

I am running 10.13.6 on my workhorse 2017iMac, and I can print just fine to my HP laserjet pro-MFP M277c6 from all other apps, but not when working in Adobe Pro DC. Keep getting error message /,SFCompactDisplay-Heavy

Any new solutions that I might have missed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goblonde1 - I have been running OS High Serra 10.13.6 on my imac and just the other day ran into the PDF not printing problem.  I can print other files on both network printers (canon and HP) but not pdf opened in Adobe Reader - just get "stopped  -Can't open "/private/var/spook/cups/tmp/xxxxxxxxx".  What is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem can't print from adobe pdf to canon printer uninstalled adobe reader reinstalled again same thing crazy stuff on the printer dialog use preview as work around for now this is an adobe apple problem and they need a patch soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed, the problem has been corrected.  Thank you to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me either.   Using OS High Sierra v 10.13.6.  Cannot print PDF documents from Adobe Pro DC.  I get the following message:

"Pinting - Can't open "/private/var/spool/cups/temp/073925b9ca46c." The numbers at the end change with the print attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We encounter the same Problem with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. We even tried with our IT professional to solve the problem and he contacted Adobe-Support as well, but it was useless and disappointing  ...

Until now the only solution ist to reinstall the system (mac OS HighSierra 10.13.6) again. After this printing from Adobe Acrobat Pro DC works again.

BUT it only works until (what we guess is) the next automatic update for Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (what is not possible to turn of – even if we turn it off in the settings/updater, next time we have a look at it it's turned on again ...).

SO until now there is no real solution for this problem – reinstalling the whole system on every terminal every month ist NO solution.

Our conclusions:

So far it ist possible to print PDFs

- from browsers (Firefox, Chrome ...) or

- from preview

but not from Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here from one day to the next, with no updates happening in the meantime.

Can print from any other app, but not from Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2018.011.20058

Same error message as in original post here.

Mac Book Air running 10.13.6

Any working solution is appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue since upgrading to Mojave in December 2018. Have tried driver reinstalls, installing acrobat and reinstalling, multiple system reboots, printer restarts, resetting the printer network settings and multiple other possible solutions, all to no avail. Can print from others apps, just not from Acrobat.  Can also print pdf files from Preview with no problem. No prepared to reinstall my whole OS for this. Adobe need to sort it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Acrobat and version are you using (as stated in the other thread: please do not answer « latest version », the dot version is needed)?

What is your printer?

(Why are you thinking the problem lies with Adobe and not with Apple or the printer driver? Is the printer driver specifically for that OS version?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobat Pro DC version 2019.010.20069.

Current OS is MacOS Mojave 10.14.2

Printer is an Epson WF-7620 which has been working fine until the upgrade to Mojave. I have uninstalled and reinstalled latest drivers multiple times and all associated Epson software. I have tried both the "generic MacOS installed driver and installing  the current one direct from the Epson web site. Same results each time.

The pdf files will print from Preview.

All other types of file print without problem; e.g. Microsoft Word and Excel docs and photo files from Lightroom.

The only printing problem is printing pdfs from Acrobat Pro DC.

Hope this may help identifying the problem.  Willing to try other options...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if my original reply worked. I have exactly the same issue. Printer not relevant. PDFs print with Preview. Problem since Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines