• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot underline within an already highlighted segment as i could until latest version

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously in Adobe Acrobat Reader i could select a segment of text, choose highlight, and then go inside the highlighted text and select a part of it to underline.  But with the newest version i downloaded last week, i cannot select text inside previously highlighted segment; trying just creats a line around all the highlighted text and allows me to delete it, but not choose a part of it.  I can begin selecting text from outside the previously highlighted text, but cannot begin selecting withing highlighted text.  What to do?

Any help you can offer is deeply appreciated!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I recall, that's how it always behaved. You couldn't select a text that was already highlighted.

You had to either start a bit before (or after) it, or hide the highlight comments first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been underlining within highlighted text for years now -- no problem
until this latest version no reader. --dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say if this is a new behavior or not, but underline first, then highlight is working.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess i was mistakern about being able to underline in already highlighted text.  Is there any way you know of to suggst to Adobe they add this feature to Reader, to be able to select a segment of highlighted text to underline?  I know if i underline first i can select any portion to highlight, but the reverse doesn't work.

Thanks for you help.  --dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make a feature request here: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

One possible workaround, by the way, is to hide the other comments first, add the new one, and then make them visible again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO MUCH!! While i did not see "hide comments," when looking I
tried left clicking the already highlighted area and then "enable text
selection" and that let me select text within the highlighted area to
underline.
Thank you again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the Comments panel and in the Comments list section of it click the Filter Comments button and then on Hide All Comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This does not change the appearance of "Edit a PDF" in the box opening after i highlight a bit of text to underline, etc.  My question is how to remove that option from that box?

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines