• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changes made to PDF Form in Edge not seen in same form when opened by Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's exactly as the title says.

When someone fills in a PDF Form in Microsoft Edge, while the changes are recorded there when you open up the PDF afterwards, the changes are not saved at all when opening the same PDF in Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.

While I have instructed our users to ONLY use Adobe Reader or Acrobat to fill in the forms, and set all defaults to point PDFs to Adobe Reader or Acrobat, Windows has a tendency to keep trying to default PDF handling to Microsoft Edge, thus begetting the problem of changes being made through Edge not being visible when the same document is opened by Adobe Reader/Acrobat.

HAS ANYONE GOT A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE!?

Quietly losing my marbles on this one.

Regards,
Andrew

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

I have no idea how Edge manages it data behind the scenes, so it could do just about anything, Do you save the file in any way from Edge when it is being worked on?

It there is no explicit save, then I am not sure how the data would get to the PDF file that is saved on your disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a very simple solution to this issue. 

Don't use Edge or any other browser based PDF viewer to modify form fields in a PDF. These PDF viewers are not compliant with the IEEE PDF specification. By using them you run the risk of degrading the PDF.  

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines