• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clear incorrect user entry and prevent from moving to next field

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm almost there. . . I need to clear a single form entry that a user enters incorrectly. For instance, a field needs to have a valid name and not left blank. Also, the field cannot contain "n/a" or "self" or "none". If any of those are entered, the user gets an alert, but i need the field entry that they entered cleared out so they are forced to enter a valid name or text string before continuing.  Any ideas?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to , JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a very bad idea to "lock" the user into a field. What if they want to save the file, or close it, at that point? Preventing them from doing so will surely annoy them and cause them to complain to you. I don't recommend you do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Its required. The whole point is to annoy them so it isn't left blank or have incorrect information.  The field needs to be enforced and it's required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear. . . 

The field MUST have a valid entry. They cannot enter: "none", "sefl", "n/a or na" nor can it be left blank

A name needs to be entered. It's for insurance purposes. There is no point otherwise 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bad idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. Its a good idea.  It's a binding that says: "You cannot advance until this field is filled properly" I have a messafge that prompts them to call for assistance if necessary, but no. The field cannot be left blank of have incorrect data entered.   

Anyway, I figured out that I needed to move my script to the "Validate" box fpr the field. Now it clears the field and keeps the focus on that field.  I'd like to keep them locked to that field and prevent them from even advancing to the next field until a correct value is entered. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines