Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Client getting "creative" with my PDFs...

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client who insists on going into my PDF proofs and making editorial changes, rather than flagging the corrections that need to be made using sticky notes. Apart from being annoying, there is the real danger that I will not spot tiny text changes they've made and so not update my InDesign document correctly. In fact this has actually happened. So... is there a way to prevent the document from being edited but at the same time still permit marking it up with sticky notes? There is some politics involved with the particular department I'm dealing with and so digging my heels in is not an option 😞

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apply a security policy to it that prevents editing but allows commenting. You can do it via File - Properties - Security (in Acrobat).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that. As described you want to restrict the editing of the PDF files you have created.

You can limit access to a PDF by setting passwords and by restricting certain features, such as printing and editing using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC application. However, you cannot prevent saving copies of a PDF. The copies have the same restrictions as the original PDF. Two types of passwords are available:

Document open password: A Document Open password (also known as a user password) requires a user to type a password to open the PDF.

Permissions password: A permissions password (also known as a master password) requires a password to change permission settings. Using a permissions password, you can restrict printing, editing, and copying content in the PDF. Recipients don’t need a password to open the document in Reader or Acrobat. They do need a password to change the restrictions you've set.

If the PDF is secured with both types of passwords, it can be opened with either password. However, only the permissions password allows the user to change the restricted features. Because of the added security, setting both types of passwords is often beneficial.

You can prevent users from changing PDFs. The restrict editing option prohibits users from editing text, moving objects, or adding form fields. Users can still fill in form fields, sign, or add comments.

To know how please check out the steps shared in the help page - https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/securing-pdfs-passwords.html#id_20302

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Setting security may help, though if your client uses a 3rd party editor, the settings may ignore it.

But it sounds like something to really be resolved by training and/or contract, trying to resolve conflict by silently blocking will just cause problems.

But why sticky notes? No wonder the client is frustrated. InDesign and Acrobat work marvellously together so the client can mark up with proofing comments, and you can accept or reject their comments. (Tip: you MUST freeze editing during this process).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines