• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert Safari exported PDFs to separate pages with Acrobat?

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Safari exports a web page as a PDF (File>Export PDF) it comes out as one very long page. This result reads okay in Acrobat (or Preview) but if I try to print, I just get one page with a column of tiny print down the center. I want to make such files into an appropriate number of letter-size pages for printing. How can I do this?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Please keep in mind that when you see "Export as PDF…" or "Save as PDF…," that means that the host operating system is making the conversation to PDF, not Adobe.

If you want Adobe Acrobat to be involved (and you own Acrobat Standard or Pro), look for File -> Print -> "Save As Adobe PDF…"

Heck, even if you do not want Adobe quality in the PDF, using "Save as PDF…" will (at least) give you individual pages. 

If the website you're looking at has an icon of a printer on the page, that "should"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please keep in mind that when you see "Export as PDF…" or "Save as PDF…," that means that the host operating system is making the conversation to PDF, not Adobe.

If you want Adobe Acrobat to be involved (and you own Acrobat Standard or Pro), look for File -> Print -> "Save As Adobe PDF…"

Heck, even if you do not want Adobe quality in the PDF, using "Save as PDF…" will (at least) give you individual pages. 

If the website you're looking at has an icon of a printer on the page, that "should" mean their web designer has a separate HTML page that gives a good quality layout, but I've seen some sites that have no difference to the Printer pages to the regular pages — both were dreadful. So, if the boss wants a PDF of a web page, I do not recommend that you simply generate the PDF and send it off to them, look at it first.

I do suggest you check out "Print Friendly" as it provides a free service that often has provided me with the best-looking PDFs from a web page. One of the plusses with it is you can delete any images or content you do not wish to have in the final PDF. I've found that this can often save me many pages of irrelevant content. However, some websites have page structures that can stump Print Friendly. None of these is the perfect solution, but I've found PF to be the most reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes thanks, that's the best way that I can see to go about it. The Safari export feature is pretty much useless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines