• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting PDF to Powerpoint creates ugly and unwanted number lists

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I convert a PDF to Powerpoint it replaces my nicely formatted table of contents numbering with Powerpoint's basic number list format. I then have to manually edit the text to match the original in the PDF (see examples attached).

Any advice on how I can prevent Acrobat from doing this would be much appreciated!

Original PDF

PDF.png

After conversion to Powerpoint 

PPT.png

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this to us. 

To understand the issue better, please confirm the following details:

1- Exact steps to create the Powerpoint.  

2- Acrobat's dot version. Open Acrobat>help>about Acrobat 

3- OS version. 

4- Check with a different PDF that has numbers and try converting that. 

Also, if using any console, then what happen when you try converting it from/within Acrobat itself? If not done yet, please try once. 

For testing, login to Document Cloud web https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/ and convert the file from there. 

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akanchha, here are the details that you've asked for.

1. Open PDF in Acrobat Pro DC. File > Export Toā€¦ > Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation. Save.

2. 2021.005.20048

3. MacOS Big Sur 11.4

4. I've put together a very simple PDF as a test and get the same problem - I've attached my PDF and the PPTX created by the Acrobat conversion.

I get the same result using the document cloud conversion, so hopefully it should be easy for you to replicate and fix šŸ™‚

Kind regards,

Graham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the rquested information.

Allow us some time to replicate the same at our end. 

~Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Akanchha,

If it helps to expedite a solution, I'd prefer the conversion to completely excluded any attempt to recognise numbered lists. Ideally the Powerpoint should replicate the text fornatting in the PDF -- which it does extremely well, other than this one exception.

G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akanchha, I've been waiting patiently for over two weeks now - any progress on a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

I apologize for not being able to get back to you on time. 

I did check the files shared above and tried the conversion at my end. This issue is reproducible inhouse as well.

To get the better idea and root cause of this issue, we'll be discussing it with our engineering team. Allow 2-4 business days to get some update on this.

Thank you for being so patient.

~Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @AkanchhaS@orchardlimited This is a very unusual bug and one that could have easily been overlooked so thank you for pointing it out. Just to add another user experience here, I'm using the following:

Windows 10 Pro v.21H1

Acrobat Pro DC v.2021.005.20058

PowerPoint 2019 MSO (16.0.14131.20296) 64-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jain,

Thanks for the additional info. Would that be possible for you to share the files too? 

You can upload it to the Document Cloud or any other Cloud storage and share the link here with us.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, Akanchha. I'm able to attach the files here for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the files.

I have passwed the same to engineering. They are further investigating it.

~Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AkanchhaS This has been with engineering for over two months now - any ETA when it will be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Orchard,

This looks like limitation of ppt itself. Quoting from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-bullets-or-numbers-to-text-a6f1b87e-fca8-47da-ade9-5d... section titled ā€˜List limitations in PowerPointā€™:

There are a few things you can't do with lists in PowerPoint that you can in other Office programs, such as Word. For example, PowerPoint does not support:

• Decimal numbered lists (1.1, 1.2, and so on).
  • Defining new number formats (you must choose from the default set of styles offered on the Numbered tab in the Bullets and Numbering box)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi AkanchhaS,

I understand the limitations of PowerPoint's numbered lists which is why the fault still lies with Acrobat's conversion from PDF to PPT.

The conversion process simply should not be creating numbered list formatting if the output it produces is not compatible with PPT.

There are two options for you to fix this in Acrobat:

1. The conversion should only create numbered list formatting when it detects a simple numbered list in the PDF that PPT can support. More complex lists such as decimal should be ignored.

or

2. Remove the detection process from the Acrobat conversion so it does not create any numbered list formatting in the PPT.

Option 2 would be preferable as the PPT would be a visually more accurate representation of the original PDF. I would imagine that it would be easier for engineering to implement too.

I look forward to an ETA when this will be fixed.

Kind regards,

Graham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines