Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy text from a PDF to word. Just get Symbols

Engaged ,
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a public PDF with no Copying Restrictions. When I try to copy text from the PDF highlighted text to WORD I only get unreadable garbage.
I can select the desired text and copy it into word but when I paste the text it is pasted like symbols and lines.

I tried Special Paste and does not works. It says the font is a Gill Sans something (with numbers and so on), no really a font it seems but when i change it to Arial i still get symbols.

Any help or ideas,

Cheers,
Sebastian

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF file does not store enough information to enable you to re-create it as a Word document (that's why it was invented, to prevent people copying files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's hardly why the PDF format was invented...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF file does not store enough information to enable you to re-create it as a Word document (that's why it was invented, to prevent people copying files).

I agree with your opinion, PDF is end or export file and in order to preserve layout and any other content, it is existed independent from OS and applications. It displays like a photocopy of original file and the codes of it is totally different from Word, so there are many uncompatible issues out there.

Basically, a well-tagged PDF file can be copied successfully but the failing instances varies by multiple reasons.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2011 Apr 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the solution.  When you open the PDF document in "Preview", do not do any "saves" on it before you have copied the data you want to paste into Word.  Before you do anything, Do a "save as" on the document and keep one fresh copy just in case you forget and do a save on it.  Once you do a "save" on a PDF document, it will convert the text to garbage when pasted into Word.  It works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2011 Aug 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CutePDF fix looks like it completely works for me!!!

Printed document through CutePDF, selecting settings that minimized optimization and requested native True Type fonts  (sorry didn't document exactly.....didn't think it would work right away!) .

Then did Acrobat OCR, and now I can copy and paste from Acrobat to other programs without garbage here and there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that happens to me tooo i dont get it 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print the PDF into PDF. then try converting.. it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print the PDF into PDF. then try converting to word. worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Acrobat Pro delete all font information: Edit > Preflight > pdf fixups > Convert fonts to outlines.

Next, re-recognise all text: Scan and OCR > Recognise text.

Then export as Plain text.

You may get the odd scan error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines