• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying and pasting text in PDF turns to gibberish

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC as my default printer.

When trying to copy and paste text from pdf to another app, the text appears as gibberish (symbols, etc.)

Some pdf prints also do not allow for copying/highlighting of lines of text - tried "Enhance Scan" to ensure OCR and flow but still cannot select single words or lines of text in some documents.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Hi quintonv,

As mentioned, you are getting gibberish text when copying and pasting text from pdf, it seems the issue seems to be the font related.

If the fonts of PDF don't have Unicode tables and do not use standard encoding for mapping the glyph indices to characters then you get garbage characters during copy/paste.

Also, there is a possibility the fonts used to create the PDF file are not available on your system.

you may try using the PDF Fixup Profile "Embed Fonts" in the Preflight tool to em

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Try right clicking the text and "copy with formatting".

I have been trying to OCR Japanese documents and copy/pasting doesn't work, exporting as Word doesn't work. However, right clicking and "copy with formatting" *does* work, but apparently only for very small sections of text.

Not sure if it will work with other documents, but give it a try and see how you go.

This seems to be an ongoing and unfixed issue in Acrobat. All the various "solutions" refer to the lack or corruption of font informatio

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Hi guys, I just found a solution and thought it might help someone.

Basically you can just open the google translate app on your phone, and use the image translation function (camera) to scan the file. Note that you'll need to set both the detected and result languages same as the file language, otherwise it'll  translate into another language. When the process completes, select 'copy text', and then you can copy the text. You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I just found a solution and thought it might help someone.

Basically you can just open the google translate app on your phone, and use the image translation function (camera) to scan the file. Note that you'll need to set both the detected and result languages same as the file language, otherwise it'll  translate into another language. When the process completes, select 'copy text', and then you can copy the text. You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The way I fixed it was to export the file as a Word document (Foxit PDF did this on a free trial), then make it into a PDF from Word and the text could now be copied correctly. Shouldn't happen in the first place though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines