• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying text straight from a pdf results in false information

Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pdf file in arabic language and when I copy text or numbers and paste it in any application the result is different. For example I copied the number 250000 but when pasting it I get this "088888" . 

Now if I edit the pdf file and copy the same number I get the right results. 

I don't understand the logic behind that. This happens to a lot of my files and it is very time consuming to copy text and number this way. 

Hope someone can figure out the reason behind that and a possible solution. 

I uploaded a part of the file for testing. 

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention that I use adobe acrobat pro version 2022.003.20282 64 bit.  Windows 10 latest updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only can confirm this. Even exporting as a Word document gives the error.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is usually caused by an incorrect font encoding. I see the file was created from Word, probably using the application's internal Save as PDF command. If you have access to the original file try converting it using the Adobe PDFMaker plugin, instead (via the Acrobat ribbon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can request the file since my colleague wrote it. But this copy/paste problem occured so many times and I want to find a solution for that. I download a lot of reports from the internet that have the same issue. A side note: I tried converting it to docx using acrobat, opening it with office 2019, used foxit, used iLovePdf. None of them worked. 

I also don't understand why I can copy the text without any problem if I copy the text while in editing mode. What is the difference in fonts between normal view mode and editing mode? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be the same, but if the encoding is incorrect then such strange things might happen...

Sorry, I don't have a better answer for you. It's the first time I see something like this happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If other applications produce the same results, then the PDF creator is probably to blame. I suppose that what your collegue created was only a test file and that rarely you will have access to the source file. If, however, you have access to the source file, it may be easier to use that for what you want to get.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a bug which has been reported to Adobe years ago. The more suitable alternative for Windows users in my opinion is to open the PDF straight in Word application ie. backwards converting the PDF to MS. Word format as such Word will give you a higher success than Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines