Exit

Creating an application for multiple pdf files

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

Odd question time.

I have a number of editable pdf files (let say 5) and I want to create a desktop program/app where I can click on anyone of those files and add in what ever I need into the fields.
I then want to be able to save that file in a sequenced number.
After I'm done I want to return to the home screen to be able to select another document.

Is there any clever Adobe software availble to do this?

If not are then any clever people who could point me in the right direct please 🙂

Cheers

Zane

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ya,

Anyone got any ideas or can help.

Cheers

Zane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is already setup to do exactly that. 

1) Set Acrobat as your default PDF viewer App.

2) Double click on any PDF in the explorer window and it will open in Acrobat.

3) Fill in fields

4) Select SaveAs off the File menu and type in the name you want. 

If you would like some of this automated, then you'll need to provide a more specific description. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a desktop program/app where I can click on anyone of those files and add in what ever I need into the fields.

=======

Hi Zane,

No need to reinvent the wheel when you don't have to. 

Simply use Acrobat Pro to edit and create PDF forms.  See screenshot from Creative Cloud Desktop app.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your reply 🙂

How ever I think you miss understand what I want to do.

I have 5 files and each one has editable fields.

What I want to do is create some kind of front page where an individual can select which one they wants to use.

Then once he fills in the data he can save them to a folder and when he does it automaticaly creates a reference number on the form.

They then return to the front page to select another document.

It's almost like having a stand alone application that anyone can use with out having the full version of Acrobat installed.

Cheers

Zane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JR Points out an important feature of Acrobat/Reader, i.e. you have some control over the recently used file list. 

But, if you want a control panel, then you can use a PDF  and JavaScript to create one. Use buttons to open the documents and fields to maintain the sequence numbers.

Another technique is to write a folder level automation script that adds a toolbutton or menu item to Acrobat. When you put the button/menu item is displays a menu of your documents and a Save button. In this case the sequence numbers are stored in persisent global variables.  You'll also need to provide a save option on the menu, or as a button on the document. 

In either case this "app" is implemented with Acrobat JavaScript. I write stuff like this all the time. PM me if you are interested in custom development, or training.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have 5 files and each one has editable fields.

What I want to do is create some kind of front page where an individual can select which one they wants to use.

Then once he fills in the data he can save them to a folder and when he does it automaticaly creates a reference number on the form.

They then return to the front page to select another document."

The software of your dreams already exists and it is free:

- Open each of these 5 documents with Acrobat Reader and Star them so they will always stays at the top of the Home pane. See: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/workspace-basics.html#home_view

- Go to Preferences : Documents : to set the "Documents in recently used list" to its smallest value (0). So you will not see them in the Home pane.

- That's All Folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines