Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating an option for expandable/collapsible PDF sections

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to see if I can create an multi purpose pdf form that has the option to collapse or expande the sections depending on the option that I select(check box, radio button). For example, I work in HR and we use a form to indicate if someone is a new hire/transfer/compensation change/promotion/merit increae, etc. and I want to have all the different fields listed on one page. Now, this will not fit in one page so I want to know if I can make it so that if I create options for a New Hire, Transfer, Comp change, etc. the appropriate section will be displayed to be filled out in a single page once I select that option. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

A possible solution would be to create each form version as a separate layer in InDesign or Illustrator and export to a multi-layer PDF. A button on the default layer could be used to select the desired version. Acrobat or Reader would be required to fill out the form, as some PDF viewers do not respect layers.

Here is a link to a related discussion:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/expert-knowledge-necessary/m-p/10049597#M114221

Dropbox link to sample PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxb8t96bdo243qs/PDF_Buttons.pdf?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the Acrobat forum for you, which is (probably) the appropriate forum for your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

You'll want to provide some more information for other readers, specifically, what platform and OS are you using, what is your source program (that is, what are you using to create the PDF) and its version, and what version of Acrobat you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I make a collapsible menu from Word with acrobat"

Kristi26420026xcge_0-1664861907152.png

like an FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possible solution would be to create each form version as a separate layer in InDesign or Illustrator and export to a multi-layer PDF. A button on the default layer could be used to select the desired version. Acrobat or Reader would be required to fill out the form, as some PDF viewers do not respect layers.

Here is a link to a related discussion:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/expert-knowledge-necessary/m-p/10049597#M114221

Dropbox link to sample PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxb8t96bdo243qs/PDF_Buttons.pdf?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's possible, but if the file contains form fields it becomes much more complex, as you need to show/hide (or move!) those fields based on the user's selection and the layers being shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the form fields are created in InDesign, the fields stay with the InDesign layers, so as the layer visibility is changed with the buttons, the desired form fields appear. If you wanted to hide a button, you could include a white box to cover the button as part of the visible layer (on a higher layer level in InDesign).

There may be a better (web-based) solution, but it seems to be possible to create such a form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you very much, this is exactly what I needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great answer! Even I had forgotten about this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can I make a collapsible menu from Word with acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, I miss LiveCycle Designer!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines