• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating custom Redaction Search Patterns

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I just spent over 2 grueling hours screen-sharing with a support technician from Adobe's Acrobat support team and got told that you cannot create custom redaction search patterns, and have never been able to, unless you have a Java programmer build them.  Not quite sure what he was meaning by this since in the past I just edited an XML file and could add any custom RegExp patterns I liked; I'm not convinced he is correct in his answer about needing a Java programmer write something (not exactly clear what to ask them to write as he did not say) because the whole screen-sharing experience seemed to show he didn't have a whole depth of knowledge in using the redaction tool as he was trying to use the search tool to find redactable content and then marked each result for redaction.

Ok, so rant over... does anybody know how to create custom redaction search patterns for Acrobat Pro 2017, it seams the old method of just editing an XML file is not working for me.  And just in case I am editing the wrong file here is the path to the XML file I edited:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\2017\Preferences\Redaction\ENU\SearchRedactPatterns.xml

If the information I was given is correct and I do indeed now need a Java programmers help, can someone tell me what I need to tell the developer.

Chat transcript:

Date: 2019-06-20 01:23:46 SGT
Okay, We can feed www to search for it but it only recognize the www

Date: 2019-06-20 01:24:17 SGT
So if you want to feed any command , you need to contact Java Prgrammer, because we do not have that options.

Date: 2019-06-20 01:25:12 SGT
is Java programmer someone at Adobe or are you telling me I need to find a Java programmer?

Date: 2019-06-20 01:26:26 SGT
yes, you have to contact the programmer

Date: 2019-06-20 01:26:50 SGT
At Adobe?

Date: 2019-06-20 01:28:02 SGT
Do I need to contact Adobe's programmers?

Date: 2019-06-20 01:29:54 SGT
No, not from adobe.

Date: 2019-06-20 01:30:08 SGT
ok, thank you

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What they told you is just wrong. Even if you had a "Java programmer" working for you you couldn't edit the Acrobat source-code, since, well, you don't have the Acrobat source-code. Only Adobe does. You would need to write your own PDF editor with redaction capabilities from scratch.

The way of editing XML files worked in the past, if you knew what you were doing. I'm not sure whether or not it works in Acrobat 2017. It seems to me like it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I didn't think getting a programmer sounded like the correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path of the XML file is correct. What happens when you change the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing, I still see the original search patterns in the dropdown but the new/custom one does not appear in the list.  I copied entry number 5 and then changed the entry's number to 6 along with changes to the name, description and search pattern (RegEx).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy and paste a set. Change only the name of the set. What can you see in Acrobat after you re-start Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late to the party but wanted to add this if its helpful to anyone else.

I had priorly used this feature to create custom redaction regexs and when the subject came across me again, it seemed that this feature was missing from "Advanced Search".

Turns out this functionality is no longer available "Advanced Search" window.  Instead you have to open the "Redact" Tool, go to the "Mark for Redaction" drop down and then to "Find Text".  Here you have a radio menu where you can check "Patterns" and select a pattern to use from a drop down.

Hope this is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I can get to the dropdown of different patterns for redaction but the patterns seem very limited and for example it will only redact phone numbers that are 7 digits. Is there any way to add customised redaction patterns?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add custom redaction search patterns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd, how do you add a custom pattern for redaction? I am not having luck with internet searches. 
Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you change the xml file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we change the xml file it does not portray with changes in the UI after closing and reopening adobe Pro/DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Amy,

Please ensure that you are checking/editing the correct xml in the correct location.

For example on my machine in my adobe appdata i have XMLs in "Adobe\Acrobat\2017\Redaction\ENU" but also "Adobe\Acrobat\DC\Redaction\ENU"

If i recall correctly, changes in but one of these locations will update the options in adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines