• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-highlighting PMI in 3D pdf doesn't work

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the 3D functionality whenever a dimension or tolerance is selected the associated surfaces of the 3D model should light up. This happens on my PC, but my colleague who is running the same version of Acrobat DC doesn't have the problem. We are both running version 2019.008.20074. The only difference I can think of is that his PC is running win7 Dutch, mine is on win10 US English. The screenshots below show the difference with exactly the same file from the same network location. Note in the 2nd image the dimension and the sides of the part are highlighted in red where in the first only the dimension highlights.

My pc.PNGmy PC

colleague pc.PNGcolleague's PC

Is there a setting somewhere I am missing to enable the cross-highlighting?

TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat doesn't automatically highlight PMI, it is generally done using JavaScript attached to the document, page or 3D annotation. Make sure that JavaScript processing is enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip phils, I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately that isn't it, though. Javascript was and is enabled.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JavaScript errors can sometimes cause strange behaviors as well. But there isn't much that you can do about those.

What software generated the PDF? Can you share the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF was generated by Solidworks (MBD add-in), but as I said the issue doesn't seem to be file related as others can open the same files, but in their case the highlighting does work. Just to be clear if I wasn't before; this issue happens with all 3D PDF files on my PC.

Due to IP confidentiality I can't share the specific file I took the screenshot from, but for illustration purposes I made a new pdf of a simple part. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t7cv90H03OOS0EMEETGfKKJ5U9NGUEXW/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

phils36186165​, have you had the opportunity to take a look at the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case anybody else ever runs into this problem, I've found out what the cause and solution are.

Apparently the PDF wasn't being rendered with hardware acceleration, something that wasn't apparent because the option hardware rendering for legacy video cards was on. Hence the non-highlighting and (found upon closer inspection) also poor rendering quality of the model as compared to on other devices.

In another post I found out that the NVIDIA drivers are apparently not supported (why though, Adobe?) and you must make sure that Acrobat uses the integrated graphics. For some reason this wasn't the case on my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello marct24022675,

I know this is a very old ticked, but I've encountered the exact same problem. 

Activating hardware rendering for legacy video cards and selecting DirctX 9 works for me. But I also have to disable "activate protected mode at startup" (under security (extended). 

This of course is not very good if you send a 3D pdf to a customer and have to tell them to deaktivate some of their security features. Does someone have a solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines