• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom Tool disappears after closing Acrobat Pro 2020

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had created a custom tool in Acrobat Pro 2020. It would stay in the application even after closing it or even shutting down the computer. I started receiving the repetitive sign-in prompts and finally decided to sign in which forced me to re-enter my license key. After this, my custom tool will no long remain in Acrobat after closing the application. I have to import the custom tool every time I open Acrobat. I even noticed that the quick tool bar has tools I never added to it and I can not remove them. They are to the right of the tools I added (Pen color palette, line thickness, Save-As, etc.) but when I want to customize the quick tool bar, these tools I didn't add are not shown so they can not be removed.

Is there a fix for the custom tool disappearing after closing the application or is there a javascript that can be written to import a custom tool? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Thanks, Amal.

Here is what I have found and this may be helpful for others who have this issue or something similar.

-My version of Acrobat is 2020.005.30441.

-Repairing the installation did NOT fix the issue.

-Resetting the Acrobat preferences DID fix the issue but not as described in the link you provided.

In the C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\[version] folder, there is a folder titled "Preferences" as well as another folder title "UserPrefs". After reviewing the text documents i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jason27445962q6xv 

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

What is the version of the Acrobat 2020 you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 20.05.30441 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau... and see if that works. 

Regards

Amal

Marking a reply or response “Correct” will help future users with the same issue quickly identify the correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Amal.

Here is what I have found and this may be helpful for others who have this issue or something similar.

-My version of Acrobat is 2020.005.30441.

-Repairing the installation did NOT fix the issue.

-Resetting the Acrobat preferences DID fix the issue but not as described in the link you provided.

In the C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\[version] folder, there is a folder titled "Preferences" as well as another folder title "UserPrefs". After reviewing the text documents in the "UserPrefs" folder, I could see that the custom tool was not part of the toolbar layout being defined in the "UserPrefs_Acrobat" text document. By removing the "UserPrefs" folder and restarting Acrobat, a new UserPrefs folder was created. I added my custom tool and closed Acrobat. I reviewed the newly created "UserPrefs_Acrobat" text document and saw that the custom tool was now defined in toolbar section.

For those who try this, it's not easy to read the text document but you can search "tools" in the text and figure out where it describes the tools you have in your toolbar. It will be in order from left to right as it is shown in your toolbar from top to bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines