• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dependent drop down list - I have seen many questions and answers but i can not get the code to work

New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying, like many others have on here, to get a dropdown list to appear dependent on another dropdown.  I have tried reading the forum and taking the code to use in my form but I can not get it to work properly.  I ma obviously out of my depth.  Can anyone please be of some assitance?  My initial dropdown box has 25 options, based upon their selection it should open up a specific set of responses in another dropdown.  

The first box's name is Potential Hazards, the dependent dropdown is Control Measures.  When the Potential Hazards has a selection of say Pinch Points, the Control Measure box should have a drop down box with a selection for PPE, Manpower, Proper Clearance, etc.  With some guidance I can extrapolate the remaining code.

A second thing that I would like to have is when a selection is made, dependent on the choice, a generic text comment can be put into another box.  Using the Potential Hazards example, if I selecet Pinch Points, I would like a generic comment installed into another box stating "Ensure all PPE and safety precautions are taken".  

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  

Jason

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets say that text field is called "Info" as 'Validation' script of  "Potential Hazards" use this:

var f = this.getField("Control Measures");
var txt = this.getField("Info");
switch(event.value){
case "Pinch Points":
f.setItems(["PPE", "Manpower", "Proper Clearance"]);
txt.value = "Ensure all PPE and safety precautions are taken";
break;

default:
f.clearItems();
txt.value = "";}

In "Potential Hazards" dropdown field in options tab check "Commit selected value immediately".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outstanding, that works great.  I can now modify the dependent drop down as needed.  One last question, hopefully;  In my potential hazards dropdown I have a selection of 20 or so options which should each bring up their pwn drop down in the control measures box.  How do I add a second option to the hazards drop down?  

switch(event.value){
case "Pinch Points":
f.setItems(["-Select your control measure-","PPE", "Manpower", "Proper Clearance"]);
break;

default:
f.clearItems();
txt.value = "";}

In other words, how do I tranistion, or add the next selection after "pinch points"?  We can use "Arc Flash" as an example with control measure of  "wear glasses".  I can probably figure the rest out from there.  

Fingers crossed. 

Thanks again, 

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add line between 'break' and 'default' like this:

switch(event.value){
case "Pinch Points":
f.setItems(["-Select your control measure-","PPE", "Manpower", "Proper Clearance"]);
break;

case "Arc Flash":

break;

default:
f.clearItems();
txt.value = "";}

Of course change 'f.setItems' and 'txt.value' to whatever you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works like a charm.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines