• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable "Do you want to save changes before closing"

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know if there's a way to disable the popup that says "Do you want to save changes before closing?"?

For example, I open a multi-page pdf. I extract one page. Click the "Save" icon. "Save as PDF" window opens. Type new file name. Click "Save." Click the "x" to close the newly saved file. Then the prompt for "Do you want to save changes before closing?" pops up....WHY!?

It's the same for just simply opening and closing a file. Open file. Click the "X" to close. BOOM. stupid "save" prompt comes up. I don't have any changes to save.

This is a HUGE time-suck considering how frequently I use these functions. The previous version of the program that I had did not give me this issue. I only got the prompt to save when I'd actually make changes to the document.

This is for Adobe Acrobat Standard 2017. This is on my office computer as well, so I likely won't be able to run scripts or whatever other fancy fixes are suggested. I'll likely be limited to options already preset within the program....so really this post is directed DIRECTLY at Adobe. Please tell me there's a setting to make this awful popup go away! @adobe adobecare

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Actually, it is true that Acrobat (or Reader) will not prompt you when you close a document that was not modified. If you do get the prompt, that means that something in the document was modified. You may not have modified the document, but behind the scenes, something happened that makes the document different than it was at the time it was loaded into Acrobat. This can be either due to some JavaScript calculation in the document, or due to a problem with the PDF file that was fixed by Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your discovery is a miracle! and after snooping around, i think i found a way to disable the option permanently (on Windows machine though) but you have to know how to edit registry files because i cant find anywhere to set it on Adobe. navigate to the key below and disable the option by changing 1 to 0, or make a quick reg file like below and merge it into registry. 

i scanned lots of pages and combined them for submission during this pandemic. so it's really annoying to answer 'no' everytime on each file before closing them. i am not editing any of the files except the combined file. i'm guessing adobe was attempting to 'save' the opened files with a new default 'save ink/toner' option. 

anyway, thanks. 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\AVGeneral]
"bPrintSaveToner"=dword:00000000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is Jan 3 2022, but AS123's answer lives on and is in fact the CORRECT one. If you uncheck the "save toner" box in the Print dialog, then print, that then becomes the default setting for the next print. Close Acrobat (Reader) and reopen the file, the "Do you want to save..." message is gone! Further, Dr Linda (below) gave CORRECT guidance on changing this print setting in the Registry to stave off any future instances of Adobe trying to save you $0.000001 in toner. Hallelujah! Happy New Year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GOD BLESS YOU FOR THIS INFORMATION 

I AM SO GLAD FOR ADOBE TO QUIT ASKING ME TO SAVE A FILE A DID NOTHING TO BUT PRINT IT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all these solutions, including the repair and reboot, and still get the annoying request to save every time I open any pdf file in acrobat. When going to Help, I only get "About Adobe Plug-Ins" option, there is no option for Third Party Plug-Ins.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out the solution. After reading about this issue for a couple of hours and trying all the solutions, none of them worked. I can't remember if I found this on my own or if it was the last solution I read. That is, it was only doing it with documents where I had used Windows command "Print as PDF" to create the PDF file. This happened whether I was saving a web page using Print as PDF or saving a Word document as PDF. Change the default PDF option in the Windows print prompt to Save as Adobe PDF. Problem solved. I suspect this is not a Windows issue but just Adobe reading the PDF when it's opened and determining it was not created with their software. So they're trying to be annoying. I have tried both ways, and quality is the same. But to get rid of the annoying prompt, you have to save as Adobe PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, crazy how the answer is always on the last page. YES adobe you suck again!! Imagine all PDF files have to be saved by your file extension and lose their thumbnail picture so that we can AVOID that stupid pop up SAVE AGAIN task. WTF?! You are the best in the World? Not really with this crap. Please remember the customer wants a Best Experience and there is a lot of competition.. Especially when the simple task is opening PDFs. - so mad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you actually using Print to PDF to save a PDF as a PDF? That will cause all sorts of problems and disasters. I know a lot of people do this, but I'd love to hear why they go to all that trouble?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The problem is everytime I opened any file with Acrobat DC it wanted me to save the file again. I understand that it means something changed, right? I turned off all 3rd party add ons - didn't help. Did everything online - didn't help. Went to alternative software - Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could switch from Adobe Acrobat. I hate it. I am stuck with it at work though. None of the solutions here have worked for me. I don't deny that something isn't changing in the PDF when I open it, but I don't care. I want to close it without saving whatever stupid behind the scene those changes were and not be asked about it. Ever. What is the point of the "Disable edit warnings" button if it doesn't do anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You tried everything? So did I. But then I discovered that it happens only to PDF files that were saved in other software, such as Windows Print to PDF. If you save the file with Adobe, like magic no annoying message next timme you open the file. The annoying message is triggered by Adobe because you did not use Adobe to create the PDF. So from now on, whenever you save a file as PDF, or Print to PDF, choose ADOBE PDF not Windows PDF or any other software. It's $hitty of Adobe to do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT IS ANNOYING! 

happens to me too, if Just open PDF, Without scrolling down or click in on it, i can just close them without going thru that annoying message.  My not perfect solution, change the default PDF reader to Sumatra, google Chrome, etc. and change it back to Adobe when I have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat only asks to save the PDF if it is modified. So, your document must be doing something to modify itself when it's opened. 

Those other readers are not true compliant PDF viewers.

Its entirely posssible that the modification is coming from a script in the PDF. Chrome does not run PDF scripts.  Which is an example of non-compliance. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, your document must be doing something to modify itself when it's opened. 

By @Thom Parker

Are you serious ? Are you really considering this is normal behaviour ? Didn’t you read customers messages in this thread ? CUSTOMERS open pdf documents and don’t modify them, so they don’t want to be asked for confirmation change. End of story. 
You should always start from what the customers want, not keep on sticking blindly to compliance/non-compliance or whatever should be according to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEP, that's exactly what I had to do.  So annoying when you have 10 documents open and each one prompts to save. All of the other options above did not resolve my problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have narrowed down the issue since Im getting it too.

The save changed option does NOT show when i open PDFs downloaded from wherever, but it DOES show for the pdfs created by windows "scan" tool (in my instance). Theres gotta be a way for adobe to override these background fingerings or give us the option to do so

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw one answer in the stack exchange sites that is from way back in 2012 (and was hopeful that it would be the silver bullet, but the answerer himself acknolwedges it's all that he could think of). It's ubelievable that these people still didn't fix this garbage since 2012. I am very angry and annoyed about this. This type of thing just makes us to minimize Adobe files usage (if not run away from it entirely).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are situations where a file could be marked as changed without the user doing anything. At least one was mentioned in the previous posts. If a document is marked as changed, then Acrobat has no choice but to ask the user if they want to save the file.

I believe the most common issue is scripts on the PDF that run automatically on startup. This is an issue caused by the author of the PDF, not Adobe. So, whether the annoying save ask is a problem really depends on the specific document.  This is not a general Acrobat issue. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, as I explained, if the user is making the changes himself, then yes, it makes sense for the Reader to ask him if he wants to save the file.

But what users are complaining about is that they do anything at all and are still asked if they want to save the changes, a question that confuses then because first of all they are not aware of changes being made to the file.

The file may have changed somehow, God knows why, but if it's not the user making the changes, then the user should not be asked if he wants to keep the changes. If these changes are being made behind the scenes by some plugin, some 3rd party, whatever, then it's up to those extra apps to save the changes without intervention from the user. It doesn't make sense from the point of view of the user to be asked to save changes that he doesn't know about.

That said, I think I figure a little more about this issue. It doesn't happen to all documents, for example, it doesn't happen with my Latex generated PDF's. But it happens with the PDF's of a medical clinic I went to. It's possible that those files are being generated with some sort of corruption. Every time I open them I am asked if I want to save the changes (that I didn't make), but the same doesn't happen with my Latex PDF's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same "Do you want to save changes before closing?"prompt and finally figured out that it happens to pdfs downloaded from a specific supplier(s). Other pdfs downloaded from other sources or scanned pdfs do not generate this prompt, at least in my case. When I do save the changes as requested, and open the pdf again, there're no prompts thereafter.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I made a few typos above and can't edit, but you get the idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same "Do you want to save changes before closing?"prompt and finally figured out that it happens to pdfs downloaded from a specific supplier(s). Other pdfs downloaded from other sources or scanned pdfs do not generate this prompt, at least in my case. When I do save the changes as requested, and open the pdf again, there're no prompts thereafter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution to this problem was solved several years ago. That annoying prompt is generated by Adobe when you have a PDF that was not created with Adobe, e.g. using MS Word to "save as PDF." It's a control thing. Adobe wants you to always use their software, not Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off Protection Mode. EDIT - PREFERENCES - SECURITY (ENHANCED) .. untick ENABLE PROTECTED MODE AT STARTUP.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

awesome! it works!! 🧡🧡🧡

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines