• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disavowed Password Preventing Editing of PDF Actually Present (?)

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been downloading PDF versions of my monthly credit card account statements using my online account at the issuing bank's website.  I need to be able to make changes to these PDFs (delete certain pages, highlight lines, redact sensitive info, etc) and then save the result.  No matter what app I use to try this, I get turned away by an error message demanding that I enter a password, which I don't have.  The filename shows up as "<filename>.pdf (SECURED)" in whatever app I use.  Have spoken with two different reps of the bank's IT department, both swear on their mothers' graves that the bank does not include ANY passwords in the source PDFs and they keep telling me to contact Adobe.  I can OPEN the files easily but can't CHANGE them.  Digital signatures are not in play in any form.  Suggestion?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does you see at File > Properties > Security?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens a lot. The bank customer service don't know about these technical things. Someone in the bank decided to block editing. Yes, block it. The password will be random, with no way to find it out. They specifically WANT to block people from editing their own statements, from what I hear. Contacting Adobe will do no good; it's like contacting a lock maker, when the problem is that someone locked a door they didn't need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Opening the file in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (yes, I know this app can't edit anything), going to File > Properties > Security got:

John2556997465bu_0-1660688700703.png

Since this app doesn't edit, I tried editing the file using Nuance PDF Converter Professional, which certainly DOES edit PDFs and is what I normally use.  It, too, claimed the file was protected and was incapable of making any changes, saving to a different (unprotected) file, printing, page extractions/deletions, etc.

I did further research and ended up installing a suite of programs called PDF24 (after, of course, checking it out thru virustotal.com).  One of its components is "Unlock PDF" and it saved the original PDF as an identical but fully-editable version after chewing on it for about 3 seconds.  This completely solved my problem and I used PDF24 to unlock about five years worth of bank statements in an acceptable amount of time.  I installed the FREE version.  Had I paid for an upgraded/pro version, it contains the ability to unlock batches of files at once, but I didn't see this as being worth paying for.  Thanks for your replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines