• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discarding cropped areas of pages

Engaged ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am taking PDFs of documents made for printing and reformatting them & compressing them to be downloadable PDFs on our website.

This requires cropping some pages manually using the crop tool.  I then use the PDF Optimizer to compress the file into a web suitable file size.

I just realized that cropping a page DOES NOT discard the content outside of the crop. Even after using PDF Optimizer or Reduce File Size, the content outside of the crop still remains. Anyone with Acrobat can remove the crop or change the crop.

I'm trying to create PDFs with the smallest file size possible, so it's silly to keep the content outside of the crop. Is there a way to discard this content?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Hello,

This worked for me:

1.) Visit this YouTube video for instructions.

Adobe Acrobat:crop pages and remove all objects outside of the page area as defined by the Crop Box - YouTube

2.) Download the Preflight fixup from this blog.

Proficiografik   -  Acrobat 9 - When the crop tool is not cropping and how to fix it

Download link: http://www.proficiografik.com/sharing/CropBoxFix.kfp.zip

3.) Import the DOT-kfp file by [Cmd+Shift+X (Mac) /Ctl+Shift+X (Win)].

Click "Options" > "Import Preflight pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link is archived in the Internet Archive. Here's a snapshot from 2009: https://web.archive.org/web/20190124162549/http://www.proficiografik.com/2009/11/17/acrobat-9-when-t...

The link to the fixup still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice detective work. I downloaded, imported, and ran that 2009 fixup, and it does appear to do what it says even in 2024.

However, I was surprised to discover that the file size didn't change as much as I expected. In my case (something I do quarterly), I have a four-page A4 newsletter that I build as two A3 pages for printing, then I want to upload it to our website as a four-page PDF. So I export from InDesign as pages "1,2,2,1" and then crop half off each of those pages. Since all the content is duplicated (including images) and then half is cropped away and then removed by the fixup, I expected the file size to drop close to half. But it merely reduced from 670kB to 649kB. Hmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines