• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do I need both Acrobat Reader DC & Acrobat Pro DC installed?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do I need both of these installed or does Acrobat Pro DC do everything Reader does?

thanks!

Jan

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

acrobat does everything reader does and much much more.

do not install reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acrobat does everything reader does and much much more.

do not install reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I thought so, but then I was reading that since they are two different products, reader does a few things Acrobat doesn't do well.  I'm sticking with your answer! thanks again. J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In theory, one can have simultaneous installations of both Reader and Acrobat. However, it does raise complications as to which of the applications actually opens PDF files when double-clicking (although there is a Preferences control for that).

Acrobat has a proper superset of Reader features. Thus for normal users, there is no good reason to have Reader installed if you have Acrobat installed. And you certainly don't and shouldn't mix and match Acrobat versions. That is really looking for trouble.

The only good excuse I heard over the years was that of some authors using Acrobat that they were concerned that they really didn't know how well their PDF files would work in an environment restricted to Reader-only, especially when using forms and/or sophisticated JavaScript. However, for such testing, generally you would want a dedicated system with minimally-installed fonts and other services. Typically, a dedicated dumb system VM (virtual machine) with Reader installed would be a much better vehicle for such testing.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I delete extraneous pages from my American Express statements (i.e. delete the pages of ads and notices and keep only pages that pertain to charges/payments)?

The Document Properties, tab Security says:

Security Method: Passwork Security with a note "Can be Opened by: Acrobat 5.0 and later.

I have Acrobat DC 2020.009.20063

I removed Acrobat Reader and am now missing some functionality on editing Adobe pdfs as in my above question. Are the two related?

Can you please advise me what to do to regain this functionality?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forms I have created will only be opened by the users with Reader, how can I support their reported issues or questions when I cannot utilize the PDF with the exact app they are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is, that Acrobat DC is USELESS

if you are not logged into CC.  In my case, I NEED the default application to be Reader, so I can still view/print files when I'm not, or CANNOT be logged into CC.  Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC will not install alongside each other.  I was able to get Reader XI to install and function, but something keeps closing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. 

I need both installed, but cannot get around to it. Everytime one is installed and I try to install the other one I get "Adobe Acrobat... already installed."

I need Adobe Reader as a default viewer for pdfs and Adobe DC Pro for when I am signed into Adobe CC and would like to edit pdfs (rarely).

It used to be possible, and my coworker actually still has this set up (both programs installed), I just cannot manage to install them on my own PC (Windows10).

Can you explain how you can do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similarly, I would also like to know how to have Reader as my default, while also having DC Pro on standby. What happens is that I logout on my home laptop so I can loggin on my work computer, but it may be a while till I need to edit a PDF again at work, and I don't need to leave my Adobe logged in all the time at work; usually I just want a simple Reader expeirence there. This happens just enough that I end up with a train wreck of logging in and out of things and uninstalling and re-installing Acrobat versions just to get anything done. In my mind, ideally, I could have Reader as default, and then have DC installed too, where I could log in and out of it to use the full featuers as needed, and not have to uninstall anything to go back to using just Reader. Anything that can be done? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um...per Protected View — Acrobat Application Security Guide  Acrobat does not have Protected Mode...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines