• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

document could not be saved error

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I go back to a PDF that I created or downloaded, and add comments or highlights, and then try to save it, I get an error message saying "The document could not be saved.  The file may be read only . . ."  But the file is NOT read-only and there are NO security settings.  What gives?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

This has definitely worked for me.

It might not be Adobe's fault after all.

Even when the File Preview disabled, Windows Explorer (Win 7+) has something called the Details Pane that may still be up, it's that blank space that gives you details about the current selected file; its right on top of the status bar.

For some odd reason, Windows creates a preview thumbnail in the details pane for some files: picture files, PDF files, XLS files, PPT files to name a few.

Capture2.PNG

To disable the Details Pane on Windo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how this is a Microsoft issue, when the exact same behavior happens in Mac OS X 10.11.2 (and occurred in 10.10 as well).

Mac OS X, 10.11.2. Running on a MacBook Air (mid-2013) with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. Adobe Acrobat Pro XI (11.0.13). Opened a PDF file from a scanned image, and added four additional pages from scanned images. Saved to the Desktop of the local SSD (not a network or external drive). Created a new form from the existing, open document. Prompted to save, and get the error message "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder" even if changing the name of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work. Nothing that was mentioned worked. I use Adode Acrobat every day, all day- am beyond frustrated.

The error msg I receive: "The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this document (14)."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2016 Jan 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, I also got this exact same error number (14) and my "solution" was to save the PDF file as a "Press-Ready PDF (PDF/X)" through File->Save As Other.... What this does is that it certifies the PDF (adding a certification icon in the tab field to the left below bookmarks, pages, signature, etc) and simply saves whatever changes you've made but for whatever reason this procedure does not abort as easily on error as the standard save procedure, instead it simply tries to ignore the error (which unfortunately remains as an annoying document "bug"). However, for another PDF file with another error code this workaround failed to do the trick. So, while this might work for some it's not for all situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed this is only an issue when saving PDFs to the Desktop. If saved to any other folder/directory (other than the Desktop), there is no issue (e.g. I can incrementally save with no problem).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it could be also that your AV blocked this - or the rights are not given

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Behold - a real solution!

Disabling the Preview Pane did prevent the saving issue for me. If you don't need the Preview Pane, then that is the easiest solution.

But the Preview Pane is actually an essential part of my workflow. After a couple of hours I came up with a theory, and it worked! Here's what you need to do:

Basically, we are going to install a second PDF reading program, and use that for the Preview Pane, while still using Acrobat to open and edit PDF files. I did this using Foxit Reader, but it may also work with other PDF reader programs.

1. Download and install Foxit Reader and make sure that 'Shell Extensions' is checked.

01-ShellExtensions.JPG

2. Make sure 'Set Foxit Reader as the default PDF viewer' is checked.

02-Default.JPG

3. Once the installation is finished, you should be able to see that the Preview Pane is now using Foxit instead of Acrobat - the buttons are a different style.

4. Right-click a PDF file, go to 'Open With', and 'Choose Default Program...', select Adobe Acrobat, make sure 'Always Use the selected program...' is checked, and click OK.

6. Done! At this point, PDF files should open as normal in Acrobat, but the Preview Pane should continue to use Foxit, and the saving issue should be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Micahm's solution is the only legitimate solution at this time. If you install a separate pdf viewer and set it to default to preview pdf files it will not lock the file. Adobe is asking Microsoft to implement this feature due to security concerns. They could make it so we can save over the file like we used to do several years ago, but it comes with security risks hence why they will not allow it. Since Microsoft does not benefit financially from people using pdf files there is no reason for them to really implement the features adobe wants, unless people start complaining to them at which point they will most likely point back at Adobe with us stuck in the middle. And here we are between to billion dollar companies blaming each other while a small company like foxit fixes it for free. This is exactly why letting companies monopolize an industry is not a good idea.

P.S. If you ever want to ruin your day, try printing to adobe pdf from illustrator rather than save as when previewing the pdf file in windows explorer. You won't even get the warning dialog box. It will just crash losing you all of your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing lots of suggestions for Windows, but none for Mac. I'm using Acrobat 10.1.16 on an early 2009 iMac. Whenever I create a PDF I automatically do a "Save As" because it often reduces the file size. I would just re-save to the same folder and click "OK" when asked if I wanted to replace the existing file. Now -- and only about 70% of the time, and I can't figure out why -- I get this error message:

The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.

The file isn't read-only; there are no other users; and the file isn't open anywhere else. I'm doing the same thing I've done thousands of times before. The only solution is to save it to another folder, and then re-save it to the original folder -- where it over-writes the original with no problem!

This only started when I upgraded to El Capitan. It's extremely annoying because this is something I do dozens of times a day. Kinda surprised that the problem has been known for over 6 months and Adobe hasn't provided a fix. Anyone?

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!!! Totally worked! I can have my file selected and save over it at the same time now! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which solution worked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of this worked for me. All my PDF forms that I've been filling out are in a local Google Drive folder.

Tried an older version of Acrobat Reader from here:

Download Acrobat Reader XI 11.0.01 for Windows - OldVersion.com

Same problem. I did notice if I copy/pasted the same file onto my Desktop I could make changes, all sorts, save, close Save etc. and never got the Save As problem. Makes me think it has something to do with Google Drive.

I'll update if/when I find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the solutions posted here in this thread worked for me. Then I perceived that sometimes the file could be save and sometimes not. I used Process Explorer (from Sysinternals Suite for Windows) to seek what Windows processes were using the file that I wanted to save, and then I figured out that the files that I couldn't save were located in my Google Drive folder (and I keep all of my important files in it).

The first time I open and save a file located into Google Drive folder/subfolders and click save, no problem occurs. But from then on, Google Drive uploads the file to the cloud server, and while it's been uploaded, it can't be saved. However, even after Google Drive completes the syncing, Google Drive "locks" the file for a long time and it can't be saved either!!!

I can't figure out a way to remain keeping my PDF files in a Google Drive folder and editing them regularly (while editing PDFs, I used to save them very frequently) without getting the annoying message "The document could not be saved". Other programs like Microsoft Word don't have this problem!!! Why does Adobe Acrobat have it??? For me, the only solution for now, if I want to save regularly a document, it's to keep it out of the Google Drive folder/subfolders or to turn off Google Drive syncing.

Any different solution??? I'm using Adobe Acrobat 11.0.13 in Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have this problem where I work, it started a few months ago. We just quit Google Drive and wait a few seconds then it saves fine. hen we restart GD. When it happens again we just repeat.

I also tried all of the things in this thread on 3 different computers, running Windows 7 and 10. None have worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what if you're on a Mac? There is no "details pane" and this also just started happening to me. been using acrobat since it's infancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with google drive now after fixing the same write problem with the various other fixes. If I save the file on my desktop then it doesn't give me the error.

Adobe, adobe, you better learn quick. Because all of these "loyal" customers are now considering all of the other 100 competing reading pdf programs out there that don't have this problem. I know I am though I have been using Adobe for decades now. You may just become a dinosaur yet if you don't get smart pretty quick. Also stop blaming Microsoft or Google Drive. Your program needs to be robust and provide a solution for all of these users. Note that most people don't bother to post. I only posted because this has been been painful for me for a year now........wake up!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 7, using Adobe Acrobat Pro and stil have this issue despite having tried every setting I could find in this thread. I.E. disabled enhanced security, disabled read only and open in browser, disabled javascript, etc.

The steps to reproduce in my case are opening a pdf, uploading that pdf to a web application, then going back in to update the same pdf. Here's the thing - if I use Internet Explorer I have the error until I close Internet Explorer. However - if I use Chrome instead of IE I have no issues. So it stands to reason it's either IE or it's a combination of IE and Adobe. But no issue when using Chrome to upload the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using windows 10 and Google Drive, only quiting the drive solves the problem. I can restart right after I save, until it happens again. IE is not even an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in a work situation where I use Illustrator, Acrobat (CC and DC) as well as CorelDRAW X7. Both Illustrator and Acrobat have always been an issue if anyone on our server has the browser open to the file I need. Corel only does it if someone actually has the file open. It hasn't mattered if we are on Windows 7, 8 or 10. Only removing the selection in the browser will allow me to save. We all use previews to find files and turning it off is not a good fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this issue too. On OS X Sierra, but it was also happening with El Capitan as well.

Acrobat 10.1.16.

Can't save to my network SMB share, but can save when file is stored locally. Other colleagues (running a mixture of El Capitan and even as far back as Mountain Lion, don't get the issue.

It's worth noting that this is 100% an Acrobat issue - I can save Illustrator, InDesign files without issues on the server, but not Acrobat files. My workaround is drag files to desktop, make changes, save PDF, drag back into Network folder and overwrite the old file. This works but is cumbersome and at the end of each day I have stupid amounts of files on my Desktop. Very unproductive for me. It's also risky because if I make a change to a PDF on the desktop, but brain fart and forget to put it back into the Network folder, then it runs the risk of an old file being used.

Please please please advise of a fix. None of this preview pane shit works. This is a Mac, there is no preview pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only had Adobe Acrobat Pro DC for a week, and I'm already wondering if this continual hassle is worth thirty bucks a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines