• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Documents opening in Reader and not Pro

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning!  When I use Adobe on my computer, documents open in Adobe PRO and I have all the tools available to me, like edit and combining files.  But, when I am using my laptop, documents open in adobe reader and I do not have the same use of the tools.  There is no edit or combine files (amoung others) tools available for me to use.   

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tools are not available in Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Windows, right-click on a PDF file and choose Open With, and search for Acrobat Pro DC, and also tick the Always use this app.

openwith.png

This should change the default program for PDFs to Acrobat.  A Mac user can chime in on how to do this on that OS.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done that for sure. The option you show, is the option that I have to select "open with" but still when I open it - it just opens in Reader and not in Pro.  

And even when I go into the Adobe Creative Cloud to "download" Adobe Pro - this is what it shows (see screen shot).Screenshot 2022-08-02 101820.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I checked, it says that Pro is included in my plan.  But since these documents open in Pro on my desk top... do you think I should try a reinstallation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry 1 more thing - when i search for PRO to download - this is what I see too.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat and Reader are the same application now. It switched (or should switch...) between them based on your subscription. If you have an on-going subscription to Acrobat it should open as Acrobat. If not, it should open as Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ohhh I wonder if because I'm working at a school, if my subscription pauses over the summer... however, when I open pdfs on my computer, it still opens in Pro - only on my laptop does it open in reader.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That screen shot does not show a download of Acrobat. You can download using the Creative Cloud Desktop app, which you need to have installed and signed in on both computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I need to try and explain this better.  The Creative Cloud, (downloaded) doesn't give me the option to download Pro - it shows me that I alread have it downloaded and only gives me an option to open - which is great - except when I open the PDF or even just the adobe acrobat program - the PDF and/or just the program opens adobe reader, and not pro at all.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would check to see if you are logged in to your Adobe account in Reader/Acrobat.  If you are not, log in and hopefully access to your CC account will enable the capabilities you need.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, I have a new work computer and now it will only open in reader whcih doesnt provide all the tools I need, I can use pro in the cloud instance but not in the desktop app even though it says I have already downloaded it.  This is maddening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you launch the application on its own successfully (Acrobat Pro)?  It would help to know if the program will open up and run, waiting for you to open a PDF.  If Pro runs by launching it without a PDF, you may just have a file association setting to tweak in your OS.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only app I have installed is "Adobe Acrobat", when I open it it opens as "Adobe Acrobat Reader" .  When I click into my Adobe online account it says that Adobe Acrobat Pro is part of my plan and is enabled on my device, but when I try to install from creative cloud it says its already installed and if I open a document in the cloud version of acrobat pro and thwen click open in desktop version, it still opens it in reader with reduced functionality (suchs as I cannot combine documents).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just uninstalled acrobat and adobe creative cloud, then re-installed acrobat and now I finally have Pro again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this for a user today who is having the same issue. They have an acrobat pro license but the application from CC keeps opening as Adobe reader. I uninstalled Adobe Acrobat from CC, signed out of CC, uninstalled CC, reinstalled CC and downloaded adobe pro from the user's web CC and I am still having the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it to work!!!!  See my comment below!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE!!!!!  I found the solution!!!  

When you are in adobe, go to menu up at the very left hand corner - then down to Help - "INSTALL PREMIUM FEATURES"  Wooooo!!!!!!!

I'm SO HAPPY!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I signed up just to say thank you for sharing this... and....

THAT IS THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN. This issue has stumped us for months with 80 users having licenses. 

Thank you again,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It just absolutely blew my mind when I saw that!!! How would anyone know to check there!? I just saw it by happenstance! I’m really glad I helped out Aaron! Thanks for telling me - made my day.

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines