Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Docusign fields missing

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue where some Docusign fields are not being displayed in Acrobat Reader/Pro - The signatures are being displayed fine, but the free text fields are not appearing.

I.e. We have a document where the user signs a document, and then types in their name and address in a free text box. The signature is displaying but the free text is not.

What makes this particularly odd is that I can actually see these completed fields in the "Page Thumbnails" of the document. Implying that the fields exist and can be seen by the application, but are just not being displayed in the document itself..

In addition the "Signatures" section is blank.

For reference, I have opened this same PDF in other applications (Edge, Chrome, Nuance) and all of them display correctly. The issue is only with Adobe Acrobat Reader and Pro.

Any suggestions to resolve, or explanations as to why this may be happening would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share an example PDF illustrating the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply MikelKlink.

Unfortunately, due to the documents being confidential, I'm unable to proivide the exact PDF, but I have created the following document with screenshots outlining the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, without the document one can merely guess.

Most likely there is a small deviation from the PDF specification in the way the fill-in was done. In case of such small deviations often some viewers show what was intended and some don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply MikelKlink

Had I been able to send you the document, what would you have looked for to find out the root of the issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had I been able to send you the document, what would you have looked for to find out the root of the issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

I would inspect the internal PDF objects the fields in question consist of and verify whether the internal field structure is valid according the PDF specification ISO 32000 and whether the representation you see in Adobe Acrobat is correct or the one in the other viewers. Or even whether both may be correct. There are certain situations where different representations both may be considered correct, depending on support of e.g. XFA forms...

If you want to try yourself, take a browser for the internal PDF object structure (e.g. iText RUPS or PDFBox PDFDebugger, but there also are many others; if you have the full Acrobat, there is such a browser included in its Preflight tool) and the specification (Adobe shares a copy of the older part 1 at https://www.adobe.com/go/pdfreference/ ). If you have no experience with this, though, chances are slim that you identify the issue. I do have some experience doing this but I couldn't promise to identify the cause either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you - I'll look into it. I appreciate all your efforts with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines