• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone know how to get PDF documents stored in SharePoint Online to open in Adobe Pro app?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone through Adobe's convoluted process to integrate Microsoft 365 and Adobe: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/o365pdf/start.html
But it still opens the PDF in the browser - just uses Document Clound instead of the native browser support.
My users really want to be able to edit PDF docs stored in SharePoint without having to:
1. Download the PDF doc locally.
2. Edit the doc in the Adobe Pro desktop app.
3. Upload the doc back to (hopefully) the same place in SharePoint.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Would it not make sense to use Sync, as I think that was pretty much what is was intended for : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/map-a-network-drive-to-a-sharepoint-library-751148de-f579...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That answer doesn't scale. We have several hundred-thousand documents stored in SharePoint spread over dozens of sites and document libraries.
We'd have to have everyone map every document library as a separate drive - run out of drive letters really fast and syncing actually copies the documents to their device.
We don't have any workstations with 5 TB of storage.

John Biddle
IT Director
Foundation for Senior Living
602-285-0505 ext. 185

This electronic communication is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the Foundation for Senior Living by replying to the original message at the listed email address or fax number. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I thought this bit would work as it does not require any drive to be mounted or any files to be copied.

Quotes from below in case the image is not readable:

"Setting up Sync in a one-time process that permanently puts file in File Explorer, without taking up storage space on your device"

BarlaeDC_0-1661957997444.png

it then goes on to say

BarlaeDC_1-1661958084217.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can assure you that is not true.  Add shortcut to OneDive works as described (indexing the files, but not copying them to local storage).  Sync actually copies the files locally.  I had an early user fill up his drive because he synced a very large document library.  Regardless, it still doesn't scale when there are dozens of separate document libraries.  Microsoft allows both options - open in browser and open in app.  The Adobe version of 'open in app', still opens the doc in a document cloud browser window.  Why is this so hard/impossible for Adobe to accomplish?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines