Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicating Text Fields in Acrobat Pro DC

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am building a single form that I hope to make multi-purpose using different views.

The first view/function is an internal facing document that a technician will populate much of the information. This will ultimately end up with a sales rep, who can then click a button and create a customer facing document with much of the information retained and a lot of it hidden.

I have almost everything dialed in and I am stuck on maintaining the data initially entered by technician into the 2nd customer view. The fields between the 2 different views are largely the same, but the positioning within the document changes once switched over the to customer view.

What I want to accomplish is having duplicated or linked text fields that once the tech enters it the first time will mirror into the 2nd customer field view (which would be hidden at the time of the tech completing the form).

Best way I can equate it is a cell reference formula in Excel.

Any ideas?

Thanks in adv!

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

That code is incorrect. It should be:

event.value = this.getField ("name of other field").value;

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give the fields the exact same name. That’s all there is to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that...the problem there is if they have the exact same name, when the sales rep hits the button to switch to the customer view, both fields are hidden.

The issue there is the fields are in different positions w/in the document. Otherwise that would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that's not true. You can set the visibility property of each field independently of the others, even if they have the same name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that sounds right. They are also both hidden or both not. But if you want a field with a DIFFERENT name to hold the same contents as another, you need a script in each field. There are a number of ways to do it. It becomes very complex if you want to allow edits in either mode, easier if one of them can be read only. 

Is it practical to put the customer view on the second page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd actually prefer the customer view to not be editable.

I already have some scripting built into the form...Im not a wizard but I could try a script solution...just not sure what that is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use as calculation:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guy....thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That code is incorrect. It should be:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am trying to do this at the moment, but the export value shows. How do I get the Item to show instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way of doing that is moving the code to the custom Validation script of the drop-down, and change it to:

this.getField("name of other field").value = event.value;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you so much!!! All fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off the top of my head... maybe you could just have a calculation script on each of the customer view fields which sets it value to the corresponding field. Not exactly a calculation, but each calculation script is run every time any field is filled. There may be more efficient ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines