• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit pdf image

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to edit a pdf document that contains a pdf image.  The document was originally created using LaTex, and the image drawn using Illustrator and saved as pdf.  When I try to edit the image within Acrobat Pro DC, the Illustrator opens with a blank image.  However, Illustrator opens the pdf image outside the document with no problem.  What am I doing wrong?  Please advise, as I no loger have the original LateX file, and it is importnat to edit the figure in the pdf document.  By the way, I cannot insert the pdf image in the document because that function is limited to jpg, tiff, etc.  Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share this document?

(Acrobat : File menu : Share File : Get Link)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon further investigation, I found that the pdf image is actually opened from within Acrobat, and what I see  a blank image it actually contains the complete drawing.  When I click on some random spot of the blank page, a frame appears, still blank but editable.  I managed to change the background color and save it, so when I exit Illustrator, the image is changed.  Therefore, my question is now what I need to do for the image to become visible so I can edit the details.

Finally, I do agree that I can solve my problem by saving the image as jpg and inserting it in the pdf.  However, it is a matter of principle to preserve the pdf (a Latex user's pride issue).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF image is flattened.  I don't know how you intend to edit this non-destructively if you didn't keep the native files.  It might just be best to create a new image and save it as JPG, TFFF, etc...

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can actually edit the pdf image with Illustrator when I open it directly.  This is what gices me hope that I can edit in in Acrobat as well.  At least i hope so. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF is not a image format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if you want to edit the text in this image file? If yes, you could try to use the Print to PDF feature of Acrobat Pro DC. Please view the article below to know how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/using/print-to-pdf.html

Once done, open the PDF in Acrobat Pro DC and use the Edit tool to see if you can edit the document.

Please note that Print to PDF feature is only available for Windows. 

If you are using a Mac, try using the Export Tool to convert the PDF to an image file, jpg. Then use the Create PDF tool to create a PDF using that image and then try editing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would place the original PDF into a new InDesign document (you could also use Illustrator). Make a copy of the original PDF, open it in Illustrator and remove everything except the image (I assume it's all vector), save as an Illustrator file. Place the illustrator file into the InDesign document and position it over the original placed PDF. Open the original placed PDF in Acrobat and select and delete the original image. Export to a new PDF.

You should now be able to make additional edits to the image in Illustrator, Update the InDesign file and export a new PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This actually worked.  Although I am a novice with InDesign, I managed to achieve everything you described, which was my original goal.

Many thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines