edit-proof pdf file?

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Is there a way to make a pdf file completely edit proof?  I want to be able to send clients pdf files but don't want any chance of them being edited, resaved, and distributed in altered format.  From what I understand, this isn't possible.  From what I've read, even with paid subscription to Acrobat Pro, one could convert the protected file back to Word using any number of free conversion options on the web and then edit it from there.  Even password protection doesn't seem to be completely hack-free as there are similar on-line password removers.  Is it truly impossible?  TIA for any input.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it's impossible. Someone could always take a screenshot of each page, for example, and create a new file from it.

The only way to secure the contents of the file is to digitally sign it. Any new copies made from that file will not contain a valid signature, so it would be possible to prove they are a copy or an edited version of the original. But you can't prevent someone from doing it altogether.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines