• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing over multiple pages

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to find a away to edit text over multiple pages in a PDF document.

Specifically i need to change the font size and line spacing throughout the entire document. 

It is a 220pg PDF and I am unable to select all the text boxes in the file.

I have tried select all (Ctrl-A) and it only selects the text on the current page.

Obviously it is not feasible to individually edit the text on every page.

I even downloaded an alternative PDF handler (PDF element) and ran into the same issue. 

I am using Adobe Acorbat DC for Windows. 

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is not a word processor. You need to go back and make those changes in the original program where the document originated.

More on that here:  Musings on the topic: "Should I Edit this PDF?" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unforunately that is not an option. It is a data sheet that was downloaded from a website. So there is no "original" as such.

For whatever reason some of the fields (text boxes) are overalapping which means that there is all sorts of bugs when I export it to other formats (doc/xls). I have experimented with a single pade and if i reduce the font size and standardise the line spacing then it exports in the correctly.

So, in short, I need to do this formatting to the PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had "acceptable" results when exporting to a txt document (not rtf) when the text came out with issues in Word. 

It does mean you have to reformat everything at that point, but at least you get the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gary, i will try that. Formatting (text size, indents etc) is not such a big issue for me. The most important thing is that a the texts remains in the same order

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps with a script or an action?

Or perhaps other users know of alternative software / website I could explore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Perhaps with a script or an action?

- No.

> Or perhaps other users know of alternative software / website I could explore.

- Maybe, but not with Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post screenshots of a few pages of the document?

More than likely, you'll need to manually copy and paste the text into another program so you can format it properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not in my office at the moment but will post when I there 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached below are a couple of the pages.

I have put an orange arrow next to the sections where the text spacing causes the text to go haywire and lose its sequence in the exported file. 

CosmicRocket_1-1659687497734.png

CosmicRocket_2-1659687549302.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The azw4 file was converted to PDF using an application called Epubor Ultimate v3.0.13.120

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, I'm assuming that by "text boxes" you're referring to static text, and not to text that was added using one of the commenting tools, or text fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's right. For some reason some lines of text have different line spacing which causes them to over lap other boxes. All the overlapping text boxes behave really weird when I export the document to excel or word  appearing out of sequence. If it was just a handful o could manually correct it but there are 100's (maybe 1000's) of that scenario. It will probably be quicker for me to go through all 260pages and individually reformat them before exporting that to make the corrections in excel where I'm sure I will also make mistakes, but I don't want to spend hours doing that without first ruling out the possibility that I can automate the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines