• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eliminate Home Screen when closing last PDF?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Acrobat DC and am used to working with individual PDFs. I've got DC setup to NOT do tabbed management of multiple open files. How do I now stop it from reverting to a "Home Screen" showing recent files when I close the last open PDF?   I think, that when I close the last open PDF, Acrobat should just go away/die.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's simple Adobe is too big...they can't hear us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they don't want to hear us, maybe software development has moved to inner mongolia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They'll lose in the end. I've stopped using Figma since they bought it out - greedy and becoming much despised in the community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such a good post, I am having the same issues and NOT one response recognises the lunacy of creating an inferior ecosystem over the top of perhaps the best best ecosystem available - Apples. But no, we have versions with the ability to turn off home screen only to be thwarted by an update that. takes it away again. This is my last post below. Don't get me started on cloud.

Here we go again, decided to come back to Acrobhat after using PDF Expert for 12 months (because of it's supeior markup tools - now they have copied Acrobats infernal home screen I came back.  Nooooo, still no way to get rid of the Home Screen. The only Ecosystem users need is Apples. One of the best app experience I have encountered and thoroughly enjoy is Illustrator. Fully optioned and customiseable. Why can't we have floating window options like Illustrators floating tool bar, layers, characters etc, make all software similar etc.  They take up very little screen real estate and make for an uncluttered desktop. Please help, I can't find a way to stop the home screen - so very, very annoying.

Look forward to some guidence

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might have cracked this - The preference under the "General" category "Show Home screen when all documents are closed" is dodgy: If it's unticked and the home screen still shows, tick it on and hit OK. Open Preferences again and tick it off and OK again. 

Quit Acrobat and launch it. The home screen will open, but open a PDF and close it  the home screen should close too.

This also might be an issue with multiple CC log ins - make sure Acrobat in all machines have the preference unticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TJ

There is no longer a "Show Home screen" etc, someone has decided they are more important than the users. Sounds like we have to follow the fountain of truth!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just such a belligerent approach - to force users to have to have the screen open... and not engage with any dialogue?  I'd love to know the internal process that some headstong bully from Adobe insists on doing it 'thier way'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my take on this.

Just one more downside to hyper-capitalism. This is what happens when marketing depatments run software companies and baseball teams. Having the homescreen perpetually appear leads to more time on screen for users. Which Adobe no doubt monitors and reports back to shareholders as more people spending time using our software and hopefully bumps up the share price on the stock market.

acrobat-home-screen-problem1.jpghome-screen-option-gone.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to admit though, having a pig icon for my user account almost makes up for this. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have fixed the issue, I now use Apples Preview as the main pdf viewer and for quick highlighting and text adjustments. Use pdf Expert when I want to do non intrusive editing. Acrobat is now taking a back seat, 3rd row infact. Couldn't believe how Acrobat reacted to comments and highlights made in PDF Expert, opened up with side comment window - annoying beyond belief

Regards

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any comments from the "BrainsTrust". Maybe at a cellular level our gripes are in vain - me, I see this as a massive afront to all the people here that are nauseated by inaction and arrogance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is insanely annoying, even on the latest version of Acrobat Creative Cloud (on Windows, for what that's worth).
My workflow requires me to open a PDF, examine and analyze it, save if I've made any changes, then close, and open the next PDF file in a directory and repeat. I work in full screen mode, so when I close the PDF, I get the recently used files window at full screen.  I have to minimize THAT window before I can open the next PDF.  I have to do this OVER and OVER.  I can modify my workflow to open many files at once, but Acrobat doesn't show you the file name of the file you're working on, so that isn't my preferred workflow.  I want to open/edit/save/close/open next PDF, and I can't do that without minimizing a recent files window before opening the next PDF, and there doesn't appear to be ANY way around it.  This is madness!  Madness!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really annoying, it is well known that Adobe ignores known user problems for a long time, here in Germany it is the most used but also "most hated" company in the graphics industry, especially after the introduction of the expensive subscription model.

Anyway, to the thread question, I have a small workaround (Mac version). I close the last open PDF by directly clicking the little red close button on the document window. It's a little more work, but at least it helps until this annoying issue is (hopefully) resolved by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit your preferences to open all documents in different tabs as opposed to different screens.

Go to edit - preferences - general - and make sure this is checked.

mariahweyne_0-1686683996547.png

Here I have opened 6 different files, you can see the document name in the tab.

mariahweyne_1-1686684205959.png

You can also close a tab with ctrl + w instead of the x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "open as tabs" setting was already checked, with no effect (it doesn't matter how that is set either). When closing the last open PDF document with cmd+W the annoying "homescreen" appears again (As said on Apple Version, Build 22.2.20191.0).
The only workaround so far is to close the last document directly with the red (X) button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

---------------------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To close the homescreen on Mac I simply type ⌘+W again after closing my last document window. I also have a mouse button programmed to Option-Click so that I can click on the desktop or another app to switch to it and hide the current app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, doing that dozens of times a day is an annoyance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi guys i found this thread due to the very same annoying issue - however unchecking "Show homescreen when all documents are closed" box DID WORK for me - however reading the thread im curious as to why it isnt doing same for the other (highly frustrated) users here

the only other setting i have changed on my app to stop the Annoying right hand "Tools Pane" From appearing which is a checkbox - PREF > DOCUMENTS > "Remenber current state of tools pane"

Can you guys check this box and see if this helps to stop homepage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this checkbox seems to be missing (Acrobat Pro DC 2022.002.20191)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Replying to get updates. This is super annoying. Like someone putting their hands in front of my face every time I open the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines