• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to sign PDF getting Error code 105

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need this answer broken down to a level a non-IT guy can do.  

I am trying to complete a telework document for the Navy.  I am required to sign it.  When I go to e-sign the document it states: "The document could not be saved.  There was a problem reading the document (105)." 

The file explorer was closed, I don't even know how to turn on the preview feature.  Other documents were JUST e-signed minutes before.  The customer support system for Adobe sucks, and if there was a competitor I would leave adobe's worthlessness in the dustbin of history, but alas I am stuck.  I need help with this now, as I can't work until this form is completed, and I can't complete this form due to this issue.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

I know this post was from back in March, but I was searching the web for help when I came across this inquiry.  The solutions below were not what I needed (I tried printing a PDF, which worked, but I lost all of the comments in the document I was trying to save).  What worked for me was to use the File --> "Save as other" option and choose "Optimized PDF."  It saved like a charm.  Hope this helps the rest of you out there with the same problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Dec 18, 2021--    Error 105 when opening/saving XFA files embedded in PDF's (fillable forms):  I was able to "Save a Copy" of the PDF that preserved the filled in fields & digital signature.  "Save as Copy" is halfway down the FILE drop down menu.  [Separate from 'Save' and 'Save as...' ]  Adobe popup says it didn't save the copy, but the filled in copy was actually saved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! This solution works as of May 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe - these answers are ridiculously stupid - they do not answer the question WHY IS THIS HAPPENING - I don't want to continue to lose work because of a bug in the program - I complete the same forms over and over again and this error appears randomly.  I don't want a work-around; I want a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: Please disregard the original comment ...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this post was from back in March, but I was searching the web for help when I came across this inquiry.  The solutions below were not what I needed (I tried printing a PDF, which worked, but I lost all of the comments in the document I was trying to save).  What worked for me was to use the File --> "Save as other" option and choose "Optimized PDF."  It saved like a charm.  Hope this helps the rest of you out there with the same problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File, Save a copy... works when Save as doesn't. 

These 2 options have been the ones that work for me but I would like to just get this fixed rather using work arounds.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Optimized PDF worked for me, thanks!  What a frustrating error...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dec 18, 2021--    Error 105 when opening/saving XFA files embedded in PDF's (fillable forms):  I was able to "Save a Copy" of the PDF that preserved the filled in fields & digital signature.  "Save as Copy" is halfway down the FILE drop down menu.  [Separate from 'Save' and 'Save as...' ]  Adobe popup says it didn't save the copy, but the filled in copy was actually saved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  Worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Save a copy worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THanks so far so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NONE OF THE PREVIOUSLY POSTED FIXES WORKED. 

Background:  After spending hours on legal documents that are subject to a deadline (that will be passing today that will likely give me both and ulcer and a stroke if I miss that deadline -- and no, it is neither my client's nor my fault) , I get a 105 can't read the document error.    I agree with the original poster that Adobe customer support leaves a lot to be desired, and I agree with the other posters that even if there is an answer, I don't think, as a paid Adobe subsciber, that I should have to plan to spend hours researching and trying a variety of different fixes, and that Adobe should have allocated resources to fix this recurring issue. 

Specific Issues:  The original fillable PDF came from a California Superior Court's website and is apparently signed or certified in some way.  I have saved files from the Court previously, and have repeatedly saved, without problems, the particular file that is the subject of my post.   Following the suggestions in this and other treads, I attempted to organize the pages and extract, but extraction was not an option (the extraction button was faint and unavailable apparently because there is some signature/certification/restriction).  Again, saving the exact file that is the subject of my post was not a problem for at least four saves.  Nor did I have any success with printing to a PDF file. The program informed me that the program can't print a document which is either signed or certified (I forget which).  I tried a couple of the other proposed solutions in this thread and others as well.  Thus, at least with my document, I believe where a PDF is created and has a signature or a certificate, Adobe's program has what appears to be an intermittent glitch that is not resolvable -- at least as far as I can see after four hours of researching possible solitions. 

My thoughts and fix:  Frankly, while I am empathetic that nothing is perfect, and that glitches will happen which will need attention from time to time to be resolved, from reading the posts, this is neither a new nor infrequent problem.  After years of having this problem, Adobe has not offered any fix (at least as of the date of this writing).   I think I have the solution.  I know there are many programs that will convert a PDF to a Word or WordPerfect document.  By doing that, I can avoid using Adobe Acrobat and paying its subscription fee altogether.  (It should be noted that years ago, I bought Adobe Acrobat on CD for a pretty hefty price at the time.  After about one year of use, Acrobat would not let me reinstall the program on a new computer, nor would it update.  I called Adobe, and was informed that if I wanted to continue using Acrobat, I had to pay monthy for a subscription.  Thankfully, today, after the having the file-save problem that is the subject of this post, and after arriving at my solution of just converting all fillable PDF's to Word or Wordperfect with (which I have never had a saving problem, and in fact, both do automatic backups to prevent the loss of work if there is a problem), I have concluded I can cancel my Acrobat subscription and avoid Acrobat and its associated problems altogether.   The lesson here for Adobe, is that for all of the money it spent developing the program, and for all of the money it spent getting its customers to use and pay for Acrobat, it may have been a better choice for Adobe to have allocated more resources to fix longstanding known bugs, rather than lose customers who, like me, conclude it is easier and better, when dealing with a fillable PDF, just to convert it to a wordprocessing program and avoid using Acrobat altogether.  It may take a little time to make formatting adjustments after converting a PDF to a wordprocessing file, but after it is done, the file is fillable and problem free. Further, the little time, if any, that may be necessary to convert the file is minimal when compared to the many hours I have spend researching how to get Acrobat to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years and years of the same bug still happening... no development company makes me pull my hair out like Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.  I was unable to save a fillable form with all of the entries I had made and  received the same error message (adobe error message 105).  Then I tried 'Save a Copy to Microsoft' which worked and was easy.  It saved the form with all of the entries and the fillable feature remaining active so I can make further edits to the form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of Feb 2023, Save A Copy worked well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept getting this error, and gave up and went to an old copy and revised that one.

This is infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I received the same error when trying to sign a pdf. 
What work for me:
Obtain an original copy of the pdf , in this case someone had emailed me the form to sign. 
I deleted the copy that I had saved the first time, downloaded the original from the email and I was able to sign again.

Bottom line, try to find another copy, or create a copy and then try again. Good luck to anyone with the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines