• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error while saving a .PDF File to a mapped drive

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue I am having is similar to the one found on this older post. http://forums.adobe.com/message/3066663#3066663

The issue is as follows. I have a small company about 15 users divided into a couple of departments with different networking access needs. They each have Adobe Acrobat version XI installed on a Windows 7 Platform. Each user has a set of mapped drives that correspond to their department. The Disk mappings are all directed to the main shared Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. At any time there can be a number of PDF files open and being worked in. The same PDF is usually not opened at the same time from two different locations.

The issue is that two users who do a large amount of the work, IE. Scanning documents and adding them to documents that have been previously created, are reporting the same issue. The issue is when they have the PDF document opened and they are adding new content. Once the new content is added they go to save the document and then receive the following error:

The document could not be saved. Cannot save to this filename. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.”

In order to save the file the user has to use the save as function and then browse to the original file location to save the document with the changes that have been made.

Along with the above error we have noticed that Adobe Acrobat is renaming the file that has been changed to aae##### or aak##### or aan#####. The file name is changed causing the normal save function to not work correctly.

Is there a reason Acrobat would be doing this?

I am not using Microsoft SharePoint.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

My users started to experience this issue for files on network shares as well once Adobe Reader was updated to 11.0.10

It has to do with Protected Mode being turned on.  I don't know if it was off by default & now it is on with the update but turning it off changes Adobe Reader's behavior back to what the users expect - a prompt warning you if you want to overwrite the existing file & then selecting Yes to overwrite.

To disable Protected Mode:

Start Adobe Reader

Edit - Preferences - Security (Enhanc

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get this figured out? We are having the same renaming issue and it's driving me crazy. Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just experienced this issue too, but it hasn't been an issue until just this week. I don't know what caused the change. Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  Any news of an update to fix this?  Some of our workstations have an older version of Reader and this does not happen.  As soon as the most recent update is done the problem returns.  Our current version that is causing the issue is 11.0.10. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 31, 2014 Dec 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No updates yet. I assume Adobe is working on some betas but I'm not in the know. In the meantime the following options have worked for me:

1) Save to a local drive (instead of a network drive).

2) After it gives you the error, "save as" and then select the file you were initially saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this will help:

I have found a workaround on my part while saving to a network drive.

When a user saves the document it will give a temp name for it.

I had them save it as a temp, then save it again with the original filename and it allows it.

For some reason on my issue, adobe has to save as a temp first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My users started to experience this issue for files on network shares as well once Adobe Reader was updated to 11.0.10

It has to do with Protected Mode being turned on.  I don't know if it was off by default & now it is on with the update but turning it off changes Adobe Reader's behavior back to what the users expect - a prompt warning you if you want to overwrite the existing file & then selecting Yes to overwrite.

Start Adobe Reader

Edit - Preferences - Security (Enhanced)

Uncheck Enable Protected Mode at Startup

Close Preferences & Close Reader

Now open a file from a network share & you Adobe saves as it used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this solution works; I will be passing this along to the users that were receiving the same error. Thanks for your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also confirm that this works. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling Protected Mode also allows us to save PDF documents in Reader 11.0.10 on network drives.  Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I can not report success.

Situation: WinStd-Srv2008R2, Win7Enterprise, mapped share as V:, Adobe Acrobat

When we open a pdf, change something (e.g. OCR) and save we get the error "file in use by another user or write protected" even after following the steps above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

file locks not stored locally will cause these delays. we are moving to a solution called Panzura for this exact reason. stores all the file metadata and file locks locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also affects signatures

Re: Reader DC signature event errors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks , this works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

If the above solution does not work for you, a comment further down by JohnMcLpool is on the right track, it is having issues with Windows File Explorer being open at the same time. In my case it was because a user had the Preview Pane active, and Adobe would read it as technically being open. I hope this helps anyone continuing to have this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start Adobe Reader

Edit - Preferences - Security (Enhanced)

Uncheck Enable Protected Mode at Startup

Close Preferences & Close Reader

Now open a file from a network share & you Adobe saves as it used to.

By @KevinCur

I know that this is a necro-thread.  I found it and the solution does not work for me.  However, bringing me to the Security (Enhanced) menu was helpful.

Here are the steps that resolved the issue for me.

Open File Explorer and browse to the folder where your Acrobat files are stored

Click into the address bar and copy the Path for the folder

Start Adobe Reader

From the Edit  menu select  Preferences

Select Security (Enhanced)

Click Add Host

Paste the Path into the "Add Priveleged Host" box

Click OK

Click OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesnt work for me either.

Using Win7/ mapped drive/ acrobat X-XI pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been having similar issues lately. There are two associated issues.

• Acrobat randomly renames a file while I'm in the middle of editing or adding scanned pages. I only notice when I come to save it and it tells me that I cannot save the file with that name. The Acrobat generated file name begins has the form aii???

SOLUTION - I just go to Save As and use the original file name. It seems to work

• When I open a file, edit it and then save it, it keeps the original file name and tells me that I cannot save the file while it is open and gives me the option of Save As

SOLUTION - You have to go to Windows Explorer and come out of the folder where the file is stored.

Hope this helps people.

What I would like to know is why the hell does Acrobat rename the file at all and how do I stop it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although this does help, it still does not resolve the issue; it only provides a work around. Any info from Adobe in regards to this would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and I;m not using a file from my network.

thanks for any advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also try to add a file or folder path to the privileged locations section in dc2015.  Add the mapped network drive in question and close/re-open the program.  This is in the same area in the preferences that you disable.enable enhanced security. Lastly you can disable protected mode and see if that helps with the saving of files.

As usual, only disable the minimum level of security necessary to allow the program to function as you would like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi..
I had the same issue which was related to my antivirus application. Disable the AV and try saving, if it saves well, you can add an exception in your antivirus accordingly.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None* of the solutions offered here actually helped me; but something I noticed in another thread mentioned that closing the thumbnail pane allowed them to save.  Although that still didn't solve my problem, I suddenly realized that I'd opened the orignal file through my Windows Explorer...

Yep.  You guessed it; I couldn't overwrite the file with my edits because the file was still "selected" in Windows Explorer.  I de-selected the file, and the save worked! 

*It's possible that a combination of these actually solved my problem; but right now it's working and I'm not about to change anything else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines